Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new here so bear with me. i'm buying a 2005 spectra5 with 90k on saturday from a family member. car is currently in the shop getting a top half engine rebuild. i spoke to the mechanic today as i was concerned the timing belt hadn't been changed at 60k and the car wasn't being maintained. the mechanic said the belt had been changed but the timing chain "jumped" and damaged the pistons or whatever. he claimed the car has a timing belt AND a chain. sounds strange to me. can anyone verify?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Actually your mechanic is correct...There is a timing chain on the oposite side of the engine from the exhaust cam to the intake cam...The timing belt drives the exhaust cam and the exhaust cam drives the intake cam via the timing chain.
I would be curious to know the miles on your engine... I have not read of this chain failing on any posting on this forum...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Like I said...I have not seen even one post on the chain failing on these engines.
They have gone 300k miles with out one breaking or "jumping" time.

If the car ran when you took it to the mechanic BEFORE the belt replacement was attempted...he damaged the engine.

The chain would have a much harder time jumping a tooth (or more) and I'd believe he (the mechanic) had the new belt wrong when he tried to start the car AFTER he replaced the belt. It would be hard to PROVE he did the damage though. If you don't get it right the first time there is no second chance...you bend/break valves and possibly damage the pistons and cylinder walls.

Before putting a lot of money into this engine search "car-part.com" and ebay for a low mileage engine (under 40k).. The good thing about this car is that the engines are available and at excellent prices ($500~550) and you end up with a low mileage engine.

I'd change the engine and most definitely the mechanic. The car is worth repairing.
Be sure the new engine has a NEW belt also before installing it in the car.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm buying this from my brother's father in law. this is his mechanic, a munro muffler shop. i was surprised they would do a top half rebuild. he said the timing belt had been changed previously and said it was a napa belt, which makes me think he did not change it. the father in law did say he has been taking his cars to this guy for ten years and trusts him but father inlaw is 78 years old.

car driven by fil's grand daughter past 6 years until she got a new car. to prepare for sale, 6 weeks ago fil had the following work done. 4 new tires, brakes all around and new front rotors, wheel alignment, new battery, tranny flush. then car sat for 6 weeks while fil looked for buyer. i agreed to purchase sight unseen for $3k. great deal i figured. the day before i was to make the 2.5 hour drive to pick up car, mechanic tried to move car from rear lot to the front for me to pick up. it would not start. later, fil told me about chain and rebuild. allegedly, mechanic is giving him a break from $1900 to $1200. of that, i have to pick up $500, bringing my buying price up to $3500. car is pretty clean from the few pics i got. also black, my fave.

now i'm getting a little nervous and called mechanic directly. he explained about chain and all recent work done so i decided to proceed with purchase.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
just put another motor in it. it will be cheaper and atleast you would have lower miles. like Dave said engines for the spectras are reletively cheap and easy to install. i replaced my trans i paid 530 for it at the local junkyard with 33xxx miles on it and it runs great. and when i called about the engine they told me about 500 plus tax also with 33xxx miles.

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
WOW. Ya learn something new everyday!. I have never seen anything indicatig there is a chain. Thanks for the info Dave.

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Yep... There is one...BUT the timing belt does break...SO...anyone reading this don't put off replacing the timing belt...
The give away on this is the "loss" of the "Mickey Mouse" ears (double cams).

These cars are a "bargain" when found "broken" and because of this are worth putting some money into them to get them repaired.

My wife and I enjoy our KIA Spectras.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
tt2jzgtes..
You paid too much for the tranny...
If you are happy with the purchase...so be it...
They can be found with that mileage for around $350.
These are usually very reliable trannys and the demand is low for them.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Really depends on the mechanic,the time involved, and your location.
The engine will come up and out unlike some cars that require the whole (engine/tranny/lower frame) to be "dropped".
I'd think $400~600.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Do a search on Ebay for a "2005~2009 KIA Spectra Engine" pick a year and hit [ENTER]
The same on "car-part.com" ...Select Manufactor/Year/Model and search for "engine"
They are all "2.0L 4cyl" and are interchangeable with possible minor parts being moved from the old engine...like "motor mounts" or "wiring harnesses".
There is no name other than "engine". KIA manufactored it.
Start searching and start learning....We all had to start somewhere to begin..
We are here to answer your questions even though you may think that they are too simple or too stupid to ask... That's how you learn. I always have said "A person with knowledge is dangerous someone trying to con you".
And as I said before the labor should be around $400~600 to install the engine...

Call around and also ASK your friends WHO does their mechanical work and would they recomend that person... Then ASK that mechanic "if" he has some "history" of working on KIAs... The engine has it's roots in an older MAZDA design and the transmission is a Ford/Mazda design so if he's comfortable with MAZDA he'd be comfortable with KIA.
Then get the price for labor "locked down" to a specific price range..
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks all fpr your help and advice. as the car is not yet mine, the top half rebuild has already begun. i'm picking up the car on saturday.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
if you where closer i would help you replace your engine its actually very easy to replace

·
Registered
265 Posts
dave. ive search on ebay after shipping cost it would be the same price.

·
Registered
1987 Nissan truck, 1993 Festiva, 2004 Spectra 2.0L,
13 Posts
Chain drive Spectra

Actually your mechanic is correct...There is a timing chain on the oposite side of the engine from the exhaust cam to the intake cam...The timing belt drives the exhaust cam and the exhaust cam drives the intake cam via the timing chain.
When I bought my Spectra, the owner-mechanic assured me it had a timing chain, so no need to worry about changing it. Fortunately I checked and found that yes there is a chain, but there is a timing belt. Some People.
roger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts