Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 97 and it says it needs a new clutch fork. I am assuming it will need a new clutch and it seems like it is pretty straight forward although it sounds like the top bolts are a pain to get out. That's based on my search of the forums. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom or "cheats" to make it faster or easier I'd appreciate them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have a lift? Or can you get it up in the air a couple of feet? It depends on what kind of tools you have available. If you can get the sporty up remove the driveshafts put a jack under the tranny and remove the cross member. Lower the tranny which will tilt the engine back. Take a long extension (3 foot) and preferably a big ole impact wrench (or a big breaker bar 3-4 feet, cause the extension soaks up a lot of torque) and you can get the upper bolts very easily. Lift the tranny back up level and then remove the lower bolts. Slide the tranny back and lower it. If you can do the above, you can have the tranny down in about ten minutes. If you go to buy an extension get a thick one (for half inch socket) it wont twist as much when wrenching on it. Also a set of impact swivel sockets helps.

·
Registered
Volvo 480 S, Smart Fortwo cdi, KIA Sportage convertible
12 Posts
Hello lilkia,

I've got the same procedure ahead of me: Replacing the clutch on my mom's Sportage 2.0 16V 4WD.
Your instructions are much simpler than what I can find the the Service Manual. Is it really that easy or did you just skip some of the obvious work to do? (for example removing the gearbox cover inside the car, removing the shift lever, ...).
Did you have to disconnect some of the wiring or fuellines on the engine to tilt it back?

I hope you're still an active Sporty enthusiast ;)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
No, it's really that easy, -if- you can get the engine to tilt back, to expose the upper transmission bolts.

* Just make -real sure- the Sportage is properly lifted and supported, if any doubt, do not attempt / take it to a shop for service on a professional shop lift.

And you -will- need long extension bar(s), an Impact Wrench and swivel adapter or swivel sockets..

(This is not a minor repair / a novice repair to attempt without experience.)

re: Gearbox cover / shift knob, etc. - Yes, you should remove the interior tray, etc. before lowering the trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone,

thank you for your answers!
Now I'm really looking forward to doing this whole clutch thing. I recieved my 45/60/75cm extension bar set today - that should do it. All screws are soaked with MoS2 twice.
I can't wait for it!

I don't have a lift, but I guess a working pit will do it as well ;)

When the KIA ist done I will let you know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone,

it's done, got the transmission off the the car yesterday! But it took quite a bit longer than ten minutes :D
And - omg- this thing is soo heavy! It was like unloading a bomber...

Unfortunatelly there is a big crack in the thick "gasket" that sits between the engine an the transmission. Someone tried to repair it with - guess what - duckt tape >:D Do you think I should get a new one (which seems to be difficult - couldn't find one in german online stores)? Or just silicone it?
By the way this isn't a real "gasket", is it? Cause the bell housing is not sealed anyway.

p.s.: It was quite funny to see, how much torque the long extension bar soaked up. Wow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts