Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mine 2007 Accord EX-L, Hers 2004 Sorento LX 3.5L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know who makes the factory clutch (5spd manual transmission) and what would be a good replacement clutch for when this thing finally dies?

A few months in and I love our little Sorento. It has a few quirks but at 9yrs and 124km (not miles) that is to be expected.

I was moving our pop-up trailer in the yard today and smoked the clutch... :eek: I felt it slip, then saw and smelled it... Yuk! Shut the truck down, let it cool and reassessed where i was going to put the trailer. Found a more suitable spot in the yard and put the trailer there. So there's no doubt that the original clutch will need to be replaced before too long...

Next question, I scanned the forum and many have indicated a $1500 +/- bill to do the clutch? Is there something crazy that the shop needs to do in order to replace this? I plan on doing the job myself, it's been a while but I don't recall it being an overly difficult procedure.

Cheers, LV

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what a Dual Mass Flywheel is?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
A dual mass flywheel is in two parts with metal or rubber springs between the two halves, designed to cushion the drive. Like a harmonic balancer. I thought they only used them on diesel models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried searching for the kia flywheel last night and didn't come up with a lot. Granted, I was tired and didn't look too hard.

I did jump onto the kiatech site. Remove shifter knob, drop front and rear driveshafts, remove front exhaust, remove attached components to tranny and transfer case, support tranny and transfercase and drop out as one unit. From there the clutch pressure plate is accessible... There is no mention of the flywheel that I could find. Obviously it needs to be machined +/- $100 and clutch kit +/- $250. Shade tree mechanic without hoist this job should be a solid afternoon (plus time for machine shop to do the flywheel). With new fluid and doing the prop shaft (drive shaft is already out of the vehicle) the whole job should cost under $400.

If the stealership was also charging for a new flywheel and I am sure thier cost for the clutch kit would be higher. I can see where the $1500 is coming from, it just won't be coming from me.

When the time comes, I think I should do a DIY for others to follow. There is a lot of great information on this forum but there are very few DIY's.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yes I'm not sure myself whether they used them with the V6 or not, manuals were sold here but they came later, the first models were all autos. Mine is an auto.

·
Registered
2003 3.5,part time 4WD,stickshift
31 Posts
Anybody know who makes the factory clutch (5spd manual transmission) and what would be a good replacement clutch for when this thing finally dies?

A few months in and I love our little Sorento. It has a few quirks but at 9yrs and 124km (not miles) that is to be expected.

I was moving our pop-up trailer in the yard today and smoked the clutch... :eek: I felt it slip, then saw and smelled it... Yuk! Shut the truck down, let it cool and reassessed where i was going to put the trailer. Found a more suitable spot in the yard and put the trailer there. So there's no doubt that the original clutch will need to be replaced before too long...

Next question, I scanned the forum and many have indicated a $1500 +/- bill to do the clutch? Is there something crazy that the shop needs to do in order to replace this? I plan on doing the job myself, it's been a while but I don't recall it being an overly difficult procedure.

Cheers, LV
Hi Viking,

I replaced my clutch, and yes it took an afternoon to only remove the gearshift knob! There is *a snap ring hidden under the knob assembly , it is seen only using a mirror.
I could not drop the gearbox-transfer case unit ( did not want to risk damaging the input shaft ) so it had to be pushed backward, leaving just enough room to do the job. For this it is neccessary to remove the gearstick and linkage assambly altogether.*
Parts and remachining the flywheel was approx $500. Genuine parts came from Hyundai , pressure plate , disk and bearing.
*It was not a dual mass flywheel ( Sorento 2003 3.5 V6 )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts