Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 Rondo lx 4 cyl 2008 Corolla,2001 Taurus,1960 Chrysler imperial,1967 Chrysler imperial
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I haven't posted for a while ,I have followed what has been going on here with members and their Rondos. I'm still quite happy with mine, though I have had a not so great experience with my dealer.

With 59500 miles i took my Rondo in with a small laundry list of concerns to be repaired before my warranty expired. Top of the list was a clunking type noise from the rear that is especially annoying on rougher roads.

Long story short is that after a test drive the dealer mechanic , and service manager agreed there was indeed a noise but said that it has been their experience that Kia would call this noise "normal" and in keeping with noise being made from 59,000 mile shocks. Anyone else dealing with this rear suspension noise with their 50,000 mile plus Rondo's?

·
Banned
79 Posts
Things don't usually make loud noises or sound like they are broken if they are NOT broken. When parts/things start making noise, it usually means a part has failed or is damaged to the point where it COULD fail soon. I would get a second opinion for sure. They could just be 'stalling' you until your warranty is not in affect anymore, then you will have to pay for the whole repair out of pocket. Not all dealers are weasels, but a lot are, and a lot have shady business practices, and stalling you or putting you off with regard to an actual problem to avoid it being covered by your warranty would not surprise me in the least. Go to another dealer and get it looked at, don't mention that you had it checked out, play dumb, and just tell them you have heard a bad noise from the rear and and want it looked at. Don't mention you want it looked at before the end of your warranty, or anything else, just say it's making noise, seems unsafe and you want it looked at, and repairs done if necessary (and if under warranty too).

Noise from the rear end is usually shocks/struts in my experience, this is even more probable if you've noticed the rear end of the vehicle being more 'bouncy' when going over pot holes, or dips in the road, the rear end being very 'springy' compared to when it was new etc. If it's covered under the warranty, and you still have a warranty, then they should be fixing the problem, not putting you off or ignoring it, that's just bad business and not very honourable. Good luck, I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4 cyl. Red 5-seater
113 Posts
Though I haven't posted for a while ,I have followed what has been going on here with members and their Rondos. I'm still quite happy with mine, though I have had a not so great experience with my dealer.

With 59500 miles i took my Rondo in with a small laundry list of concerns to be repaired before my warranty expired. Top of the list was a clunking type noise from the rear that is especially annoying on rougher roads.

Long story short is that after a test drive the dealer mechanic , and service manager agreed there was indeed a noise but said that it has been their experience that Kia would call this noise "normal" and in keeping with noise being made from 59,000 mile shocks. Anyone else dealing with this rear suspension noise with their 50,000 mile plus Rondo's?
At roughly 40,000 km, our Rondo was making a clunking noise in the rear when going over bumps. The dealership ended up changing the rear stabilizer links. This work was done on warranty.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Rondos have a common issue with stabilizer/sway bar links. My Rondo with just under 50k miles has had new links all the way around, front and rear.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Very good to know (rear link issues) ... I'll have to remember this if I get the same problem or noise when mine is older. Thanks for the heads up all!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
on my '08 Rondo I had the knocking noise at the front and they installed new front sway bar links, which solved the problem. This was all done under warranty at 58,000 km as they said it was premature wear. I think they were aware of this as they knew exactly what it was and had the items in stock. Was in and out in about half-an-hour. Never noticed the problem on the rear up to the time I traded it at 80,000 km.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Geeze! That sucks! Good thing to keep in mind incase my rondo starts making those noises after 30-40K ... I guess it's just a common problem with those parts and the source that Kia got them from etc. Good to keep in mind for the future as I plan on keeping this car until it doesn't want to drive anymore lol ...

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
So true about the stabilizer links.

Our kids stored some rocks in the rear cubby, the one with the jack. Clunking and banging drove me nuts! It was a simple fix.

The kids just got their own cars last week, time to plan my revenge!

Good luck,
Curt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a design flaw

It is a "design defect" of absorber bracket assembly. Replace the assembly with the new redesigned part, and the noise will be gone.

See image below.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts