Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a fantastic 2013/2014 (2013 upgrade) Sorento SLi (Australian) model. I love it.

I bought it second hand in May with 60,000km on it.

Only recently I have noticed that after putting the car into reverse, after moving backwards a metre/2 metres or so, the car "clunks". It's a rubbery clunk that feels like it comes from the drivetrain but at first I thought I had hit something. It seems to do it when first reversing. After you stop, put the car in reverse again, it doesn't do it.

Now the other issue I have with this car is a "tick" noise in the driver's seat that only happens over undulating roads that make my bum move around on the seat. Even smooth undulations will cause it.

A mate of mine who heard it said "that's a loose spring" and I though the same thing. I can make it happen when the car is stationary and move around in the seat as well.

Anyone else had these issues and managed to resolve them?

Many thanks in advance!

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so the clunk became worse today and started happening when turning around a roundabout. It came out of nowhere but felt like a rubbery BANG! just like I hit something. It's obviously coming from the drivetrain somewhere. After the initial bang, I could hear a constant thumping noise coming from the rear end - not too loud - just like something was stuck to the tyre.

Fortunately I was not far from the local Kia dealer. They were very helpful and they believe it is a rear diff problem - possibly with some magnetic part at the diff or the internals of the diff itself. All under warranty, thank goodness. So the car had to sty.

Will be keen to find out what the problem is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to add that the clunking reduces at speed. It seems to be worse under load, especially when accelerating from, say, traffic lights.

When the mechanic got in - he obviously drives hearder than me - the problem wasn't there. When he drove more cautiously an d not so aggressively, the problem was there.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2011 AWD
1 Posts
Hi all, I have a fantastic 2013/2014 (2013 upgrade) Sorento SLi (Australian) model. I love it.

I bought it second hand in May with 60,000km on it.

Only recently I have noticed that after putting the car into reverse, after moving backwards a metre/2 metres or so, the car "clunks". It's a rubbery clunk that feels like it comes from the drivetrain but at first I thought I had hit something. It seems to do it when first reversing. After you stop, put the car in reverse again, it doesn't do it.

Now the other issue I have with this car is a "tick" noise in the driver's seat that only happens over undulating roads that make my bum move around on the seat. Even smooth undulations will cause it.

A mate of mine who heard it said "that's a loose spring" and I though the same thing. I can make it happen when the car is stationary and move around in the seat as well.

Anyone else had these issues and managed to resolve them?

Many thanks in advance!

David
Hello David,

My Kia Sorento also gives me a thump / bang when first reversing. After you stop, put the car in reverse again, it doesn't do it. Were you successful with rectifying your problem? Can you share what the issue was.
Thanks.
Sunil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts