Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I'm looking at is a 2012 with 9,500 miles on it. It's an SX w/ premium package...

The dealer had it listed at $18,900, which I think is insane. I have them down to $17,000 + taxes (17,700). I want them to wave the "dealer fee" which we all know is crap which would put me at 17,500 out the door.

Is this a good price? It seems like some people are getting these cars below invoice while others are paying above msrp.

Any idea on what a used top level rio might go for?

·
Registered
2012 Rio5
60 Posts
that is the price of a new car, not one with 9,000 plus miles.

Assuming USA dollars, the 2013 prices are not that high.

When I was in for service, I walked the dealer lot. Lots of 2013s to pick from in NJ.

A 2012 rio 5 door LX sticker price was like $15,500...

try kelly blue book or autotrader.com,

or even consumerreports to get the original stick...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price does seem high, but an LX (base) is far less equipped than an SX premium (top spec). Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
There are a lot of reasons a car would be available with so few miles on it. Not too long ago someone on this forum trading in there 2012 Rio for an Optima.

The question I would have, is this being sold as a new (never titled) or used vehicle. Just because as a used car, you would be losing the 10/100 power train warrantee.

In my opinion that would make the price greatly inflated without that.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
There are a lot of reasons a car would be available with so few miles on it. Not too long ago someone on this forum trading in there 2012 Rio for an Optima.

The question I would have, is this being sold as a new (never titled) or used vehicle. Just because as a used car, you would be losing the 10/100 power train warrantee.

In my opinion that would make the price greatly inflated without that.
I thought the warranty was transferable?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio EX Sedan
19 Posts
Maybe it depends on the country you're in but in Canada, the balance of the factory warranty is fully transferable.

Any remaining portion of the warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Unfortunately borderwave, I think you're dealing with a catch22 situation here. When a dealer has a hot selling car like the Rio - you'll often see low mileage used prices at or very near new prices. Seems ridiculous, but there is an explanation.

Most likely the Rio was a trade in, so the dealer will now have about $4000 worth of margin to play with (as opposed to the measly $1000 or less with a new Rio). Hence, why it's listed so close to the new retail prices. But dealers know that many will buy "almost new" if they can save a buck or two. So, even if they discount that car a little, they still make a large payday :eek:

But as you're already noticing, you'll have to fight tooth and nail for any discount whatsoever. And that's because - with the fast selling Rio - dealers know another buyer is right around the corner anyway. It sucks... but that's what supply & demand is all about.

And think about this: are you buying a car... or a deal? If you want a better deal, I'm sure there are gigantic discounts available on those languishing pre-owned, pre-2012 Rios ;) In the end, you are the only one who can determine if you are getting true value or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rougue, thanks for the insight. At the end fo the day, I like the RIO for its econobox status while still having fun styling and decent tech options and whatnot. If I wanted a deal, I'd get the cheapest lx I could find... Something about the sx wheels and headlights just transforms the look of the car to me. I guess that really sums it it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked with a dealer with a white sx. They had it listed for 18 and lied to me saying the msrp was 18.8. When I called them on it, they said the best they could do was 18.2...

A few of you have gotten yours for 17 or even 16 in some cases. How is everyone getting these cars so cheap?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally borderwave, I have a "really" "really" hard time believing that someone could buy the Rio for 17 or 16 grand - when msrp on that model is 18. Plain and simple, there's less than $1000 profit on the Rio SX (not including the few hundred they might make on freight/PD, and holdbacks). Dealers are not in business to lose money and would never take a loss on a fast selling car like the Rio5. :huh: That only happens on a languishing car nobody wants.

After being in the car business myself for many years, I know from experience that there are unfortunately many boasters and liars out there. You wouldn't believe the number of times I had clients come in with a lowball quote in hand. One that apparently their "neighbor" paid at the same dealership (priced dramatically below our cost no less) and on an impossible to get car too. Riiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Upon investigation, we would quickly flush out the "neighbor" as one of those unfortunate false boasters. This kind of behavior happens on forums too. In reality, hot, low inventory, popular cars (especially inexpensive, low margin cars like the Rio) regularly sell for msrp. :eek:

I'd say, if you're already getting a discount - and it's exactly the Rio you want - jump on it. And don't worry about some mystical, urban legend discount you "might" be missing. Just my .02 :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
And just to give you some perspective, I only managed a $300 discount on my Rio5 SX Navi... even as an "expert" who knows the car business from the inside. However, I did negotiate in free window tinting, a zero doc fee and zero transport cost (they had to grab it from another dealer). A decent, fair deal for both sides if you ask me - as it had value to me but only cost the dealer another $250 total.

Oh... and I did get an extra $500 for my trade in (they actually got some other dealers to bid for it), plus a $500 cash back incentive and a low 1.9% lease rate. But none of this took anything from my dealers pocket.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
I'd say keep looking, I found a brand new SX in my area (Maryland) with the premium package for just under $17k out the door. That was about 3-4 months ago, 2012 prices shouldn't be going up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts