Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Carnival SLi 2.2 Diesel Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I’m new here and have searched through the forum as best I can for an answer. I have a 2016 Carnival, still under warranty obviously.

We’ve had water dripping into the passenger footwell for a week. I called our Kia dealer to explain and seek advice as we had a 16 hour round trip for a funeral to get to. The guy said he thought it’d be the air con drain and it wasn’t urgent, to book it in when we got back.

Well it got worse, exponentially, in the 4 days we were away. The passenger footwell was absolutely sodden. We got it to the local satellite Kia service place (different to those that provided the original advice) who said the AC drain was clogged with mud. They cleared it without issue but the carpet will need drying or replacing or something as there’s no doubt it’ll be mouldy (we were in QLD in hot, humid weather). Apparently it’s a big, expensive job too.

However they’re saying that it won’t be replaced under warranty as it’s not a manufacturer fault. I’d argue that a) it’s a bloody design fault if it can get clogged and cause such significant damage and b) I’d have taken it to the dealer before our trip (and before the issue escalated) had I not been given the bum steer on the phone.

Has anyone got any advice or experience? The warranty details aren’t specific re this, so I have a feeling they’re going with this being not a manufacturing defect. I’m really cross that something so simple can wreak such (expensive) havoc, and that it’s a known issue that these things clog but they take no responsibility at all.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2018 Sedona LX+
26 Posts
If you get a wet/dry vacuum to suck up most of the water and then aim a fan or maybe a space heater at the area for a few hours, you should be good. Once it's dry you shouldn't get any mold. It might even be easy to peel the carpet back from the corner so the air can get under the carpet and padding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I was in your situation I probably wouldn’t expect the carpet to be replaced under warranty. It would have been nice if the dealer had vacuumed out the water and pulled it back to dry but that is something I would probably want to do to my own satisfaction anyway.

Its just water and it will dry. Its even distilled water. So really there should be nothing left behind. Just vacuum it out and then pull back the carpet to speed it up. If you don’t it might start to get a moldy smell, although in my experience that usually goes away too after it dries completely. But you should try to get it dried out. If you don’t have a shop-vac drive it to the car wash and do it there. If you can’t do that ask the dealer if they can vac it for you and pull the carpet back. Their detailers that process used cars should be able to knock it out easy. Replacing the carpet is way overkill.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
103 Posts
Local indy can blow the clog out with an air compressor in, like, 15 seconds.

I've had this happen to varying degrees in most cars I've owned. Worst is my 2002 Volvo (because electronics down there...). Literally "standing water." Wet/Dry vac, which I later turned the other way (so, a blower). Rolled up as much carpet as I could, put blocks to keep it off the metal, left the car running with the heat blasting, etc. etc. It dries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts