Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clock has a mind of its own. I have to reset it regularly to the proper time...and today, the lcd is totally out.

Anybody with the same problem? Maybe the fuse?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 05 Lx that the clock doesn't hold time. If the vehicle sets for more than ~6hrs than it stops. Any others with this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get the same problem, I'm also noticing the temp reading changes back to Ferenheit from Celicius, but not everytime the clock goes out. I'm also finding the altitude changes and barometric pressure readings sometimes shows something ridiculous like 400! It's pissing me off! Other than that this car rocks! I traded my 2001 Qx4 in for one, and am not disapointed in the least, the Kia actually has more features, too bad they don't work all the time.. ;^)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are having the same clock problem with our 05, if the vehicle sits for an extended time the clock loses the correct time. Anyone have a fix for this, or must we just have Kia replace the clock?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got an 05 a week ago and the clock will not keep it's time if it sits for more than an hour. Calling the dealer today to see what we need to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with the clock display disappearing and not holding time. Will get the dealer to sort out at next service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I just bought a 2005 Sorento LX 2x4 yesterday, and I had a premonition about that clock. So I read the forums and yes, it does reset after sitting for only 1 Hour. I'm going to discuss this with the dealer on Monday. I also have some technical suspicions and it may require breaking out some test equipment. <_<

I'll also try to contact whoever is in charge of North American Quality Control, because apparently KIA isn't taking good advantage of reading these wonderful user forums for failure trends. This is like free money for a big company.

They should of checked the clock before my vehicle was delivered. :angry: The idea of running back to the dealer and wasting two hours of my time to change out a clock that only costs $2.00 tweaks me the wrong way. My Mazda's clock has been running for 15 years, never a problem. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everybody out there with a clock reset problem do me a BIG favor. I think I'm onto something and I need a bigger sample size. I may have an idea on what's causing the clocks to reset. I don't think it's the clocks, the reset is a symptom of another problem and replacing the clock is a band-aid. :eek: So here goes:

My 2005 Sorento has the headlight-auto-shutoff feature, in case you're forgetfull. If your headlights turn off automatically even if the steering column switch is on, go ahead and leave the headlights on when you shutoff the ignition. Make sure you've set the clock before shuting off the ignition.

Wait your usual amount of time (for a reset). When you start the car, leave the head-light switch ON. Observe the clock, has it reset, or is it still keeping correct time?

My clock reset problems will go away if I leave the head-lights on during ignition. LET ME KNOW! If theory works even on 20% of you out there, then I know I'm right on one of two possibilities and will do further testing and post my results. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey we picked up our 2005 Sorento yesterday - Guess what... Yep, the clock resets??

Fantastic vehicle, great drive, I feel a bit silly reporting a clock problem to my local UK dealer. Any idea if there is a fix I can perform without taking the dash apart? Don't really want to keep the headlights on (even when they auto off) - Kind of makes a small problem a bit of a big problem!!!

I'm going to copy this forum in an email to my local dealer so he can see the issue is widespread (globally)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by SorentoOwner@Jan 16 2005, 08:57 PM
Hey we picked up our 2005 Sorento yesterday - Guess what... Yep, the clock resets??

Fantastic vehicle, great drive, I feel a bit silly reporting a clock problem to my local UK dealer. Any idea if there is a fix I can perform without taking the dash apart? Don't really want to keep the headlights on (even when they auto off) - Kind of makes a small problem a bit of a big problem!!!

I'm going to copy this forum in an email to my local dealer so he can see the issue is widespread (globally)

Dealer was aware of the problem affecting the clocks. They have said the clock will need replacing after which the problem should not reoccur.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm living in the Netherlands and i've got the same problem. :angry:
My Sorento V6 was delivered on the 4th of januari this year.
It seems that all Sorento's from late 2004 and 2005 have the same clock problem.
The clock has been replaced with a new one but this didn't fix the problem.
The car is now for 2 days in the garage already, for a clock!!!
I think the problem is not the clock itself but an electrical fault in the car wich makes the clock reset itself.
I can't imagine that they can produce so many defective clocks!
When someone has the solution to this problem i'll be glad to hear it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,
I bought my 05 Sorento on 10/18 and I havent yet noticed any clock problems.
The only problem I have noticed is that when I put it in park and shut the car off, I sometime have an issue starting it back up. For some reason, the shifter doesnt sit in Park just right, which keeps it from starting. Please somebody tell me if they have esperienced any issues similar. I have taken it into the dealer and sat for two hours only to find out 'there's nothing wrong with it'. Please share some input. It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 05 last weekend and noticed the clock bad the next day. I called the dealer, took it in the next day and it was fixed in about 40 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to close this topic...

Took the Sorento back to dealer. 30 mintues later clock replaced and no problem since. Dealer said that Kia were in the transition or sourcing clocks from another supplier after a faulty batch for the late 2004/05 models. How true this is I don't know, but the fault is no longer there, so that's all that matters!!!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento KX-3
15 Posts
I have the same clock problem the Sorento XS that I took delivery of yesterday. So I thought that I'd add my name to the list. It always helps to know that you are not the only one with the same problem.

By the way thanks to all those that replied to my first message. I am still not sure weather to go for the Kia dog guard. Can anyone let me know if it is well fixed and secure?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Kia dogguard is a bit basic, although it allows the centre 3 point belt to be used.
It's can be fitted ina few mins, but has no permanent fixings, just pressure clamps, although once in it does seem fairly well in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received my New 2005 LX Automatic Steptronic Sorrento last Thursday. Of course the clock problem was expected and I asked the dealer to change it prior to delivery. As usual, the saleseman did a lousy job at taking notes and following up : the clock had not been changed prior to delivery... <_<

Now, 3 days later, my Sorrento, with barely 200km on it won't start... :angry: Everything on the electrical system works, lights, radio etc... but no engine start ! Only after 1 minute or 2 of the key turned in the ignition, then it will start ! ( Yes the transmission was properly set into Park )

Once I had it started, the engine check light turns on and stays on ! :angry: Now I am really doubting KIA's reliability ! ( The gas cap was firmly thighten...)

I am quite deceived as I had done extended hours of research on this vehicule and it had nothing but praised from various reputed automotive reviews, even in long term testing.

My Sorrento is now at the dealer and I'll wait to hear what was wrong with it. I sincerlely hope that this was the last of the problems I'll have for a while, if not I'm selling it off right away for another SUV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got an '05 Sorento about a month ago and I had the same problem. According to the dealer, this has been a very common problem where the chips in the clocks are defective. Many of the dealers should be receiving their first shipment of the replacement clocks in Feb 05 so check with your dealer. When I called my dealer they took my contact info to notify me when I may bring my car in for the replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by AprilzWarrior@Jan 17 2005, 04:57 PM
Hey everyone,
I bought my 05 Sorento on 10/18 and I havent yet noticed any clock problems.
The only problem I have noticed is that when I put it in park and shut the car off, I sometime have an issue starting it back up. For some reason, the shifter doesnt sit in Park just right, which keeps it from starting. Please somebody tell me if they have esperienced any issues similar. I have taken it into the dealer and sat for two hours only to find out 'there's nothing wrong with it'. Please share some input. It would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem, my NEW Sorento LA Auto. just won't start when it's sitting in the driveway for more than + - 6 hours ! This is really annoying ! It has only 250 km on it. I took it to the dealer, they checked it, and found nothing wrong. When I explained that this is a new car and it is not what I expected, they just replied that they do not know what the problem is and they really did not seem to care anyway. This is just unacceptable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts