Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6/AWD Nav DVD
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto setting on our climate control quit working today. It is 95+ in North Carolina today, and when I turn the climate control to auto, it sets the fan speed at the lowest setting. The air coming out of the vents is cold, but it is no good because the fan is set to low.

We walked into Lowes day, and when we returned to the car it was extremely hot on the inside. I started the car, and with it set on 'auto' and the temp set to 'Lo', it still kept the fan at the lowest setting. Our CC has never acted like this before today. Usually on a hot day, when we return to the car, and it is hot, 'auto' will set the fan to high until the temps in the car get to our desired setting, and then it will slow the fan down.

We stopped by the Service department, and one of the SE's took a look at it, but could not correct it. They were too busy to schedule an appointment for service today, but we have scheduled one for Tuesday.

We can still manually control the fan and air temperature, so the AC still works in that respect.

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
2,878 Posts
The auto setting on our climate control quit working today. It is 95+ in North Carolina today, and when I turn the climate control to auto, it sets the fan speed at the lowest setting. The air coming out of the vents is cold, but it is no good because the fan is set to low.
Did you tell them you were turning it on and off manually everytime you exit car? All it might need is a reset. Pull the fuse for teh climate control and wiat a min and then reinstall it. Then do not keep turning it on and off everytime you leave car. It is AUTO CLIM leave it that way and jsut turn car off and get out and back in again when you return and see if it works like it should as a auto system. Just adjust temp and that is all. You can set it to diff modes once teh vech is running like defrost. Or between seasons. But on really hot/cold days try to aviod all that on and off stuff. And let it be. Just turn off car and and restart car once in again. That way the system is not alwasy going what teh hell are we doing and confuseing the program software. Your not ever letting it do its job of adjusting the temp/fan on start up. You are always restarting the system over again as far as it is concerned. Not what AUTO CLIM is meant or designed for. you are using it as a manual system. Set it and forget it. Other then temp adjust if it gets too cold or to hot in winter. And then try to not go way one way or teh other fast with temps as that will confuse it more too. Small adjustment at a time. Till you get it right for you. Do you keep turning your central air on and off and up and down in your house? No. ;)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only started using the manual controls when the auto stopped working. I will try to pull the fuse to see if that resets it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I only started using the manual controls when the auto stopped working. I will try to pull the fuse to see if that resets it.

Thanks
So you were not turning the system on and off each time you got out of vech and left it? That is what you were looking like you were saying to us. You left the system on (touched nothing nor buttons) and turned off key and turned off car and got out. Then when you got back in system was on with no help form you to turn it back on once you turned key and started car. And it was left to do it startup check for temp and fan requirements? There is a LAG many times in this too. So you let it do its thing for 30 secs before you pulled ripcord and started hitting buttons? IF so ok that was what you were suppost to be doing. SET it and FORGET it. Please read your first post and teh first paragraph to undertand how you confused me or us with that.
"95+ in NC.....when i turn the clim to auto....". It should not have been anywhere else nor need to be turned to auto. That was not once the system went down I used it manually. That was showing a historical past. which might have been the cause. ;)

The whole thing since you said it was coming out cold but just no great HURRICANE volume of air flow seemed to tell me the fan speed program was confused by something and in limp home mode. Needing to be reset. Let us know what the fuse did.

BTW humor me here. Uptill now did you NOT have anything on dash? and yesterday you did? Many vechs have sensors on top of dash for sun/heat calculations reasons. If for some reason you had something that might have slipped an covered that sensor it will not work and the system will go into limp home. Not saying your Sorento does but just think on it. And look if need be to make sure. Also many sytems have vents for air sampling. You might miss them or never see them or know waht they were. Jsut little slits in dash or anywhere really. If something was blocking that the system will act weird too. Might even be in back seat area. Wifes purse or feet on dash or what ever like a shopping bag in foot well next to console with someone sitting in passenger seat even.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the mix up. Until yesterday we have always used the auto setting, and it has worked with no issues.

There are two sensors on the dash, and neither of them are covered. I am not aware of any air sampling vents, nor does the manual mention them in the section pertaining to the auto climate control.

I did pull three fuses today labled, A/CON, A/CON MANU, and A/CON AUTO. I left the fuses out for about 10 minutes before replacing them. All three fuses are 7.5amp fuses, and I reversed the last two fuses to try to rule out a melted fuse. When I restarted the car, there was no change in the behavior of the auto climate function.

At this point I'm just going to drop it off for service.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I understand the mix up. Until yesterday we have always used the auto setting, and it has worked with no issues.

There are two sensors on the dash, and neither of them are covered. I am not aware of any air sampling vents, nor does the manual mention them in the section pertaining to the auto climate control.

I did pull three fuses today labled, A/CON, A/CON MANU, and A/CON AUTO. I left the fuses out for about 10 minutes before replacing them. All three fuses are 7.5amp fuses, and I reversed the last two fuses to try to rule out a melted fuse. When I restarted the car, there was no change in the behavior of the auto climate function.

At this point I'm just going to drop it off for service.
Since it is a 2011 anything was possible as it is a new design system. Many car have air samplers many do not. Was just just covering all the bases. You have now almost discounted out the idea of a confused comp program. So yes it looks like dealer is the way to go. Like i said it is a 2011 and this might be one of its teething issues. Anytime we get a new model in any maker a bad system or design pops up. As well as jsut plain yours is one that needs to be warrenty worked on like all cars. Just is not what you want to hear with a 2011 and paying all this money. But people forget it happens and they are not teh first nor will they be the last to buy a car that has a bad part new in it. One that needs to be replaced and then get millons of miles trouble free after.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the Auto function on the climate control started working. I have no idea, but we just got in the car, and it was working.

The interior turn signal lights however, do not work anymore. The turn signals on the outside light up. I can hear the turn signal "click", but the lights on the dash for the turn signals no longer light up.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX I4 FWD
33 Posts
My AC started doing the exact same thing today.Ever figure out what was wrong?Did you get your turn signals straightened out?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 EX FWD Titanium /Sunroof/Nav
17 Posts
Driving home from DC last weekend the outside temperature hit 106. I experienced the exact same symptoms. Thought the system was broken. The next morning going to work - auto worked fine. My simple theory is that the sensors just had too much and overloaded. If it was 106 outside, being parked in the sun for hours probably just sent them into shutdown. It's probably some level of circuit breaker. Hope yours starts working again. I think we may have stumbled on an undocumented "feature".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same exact problem twice now where it has stopped working for days and than started working again, I have been to the dealership twice and they have called the tech line but no one at KIA has an answer yet I was told just bring it back to the dealership when it happens again. both times it started working again, last time right before I was going to take it back into the dealership for the third time.

·
Registered
2010 Sorento Platinum 2.2 Diesel; 2000 Chrysler Neon
124 Posts
I read somewhere (may have been the user guide) that there are two buttons on top of the dash (look like round buttons) the one on the right (Australian model) is auto headlight ambient light sensor and the other was the temperature sensor. Although i could be wrong about the temp sensor as it seems silly to put it in direct sunlight.

For what it's worth i dont like the auto setting, it's close to freezing her in the mornings at the moment, if i put the heating on auto heat HI the fan only runs at about half to 2/3 speed, I want baking hot jet engine rip your face of hot but I can only get that manually. After 5 mins of that i turn the heat back to auto and put the temp down to about 21-22* which trips the aircon on... i don't want the aircon on so i switch back to manual again....
Really i understand the principal behind it but my own temperature body control has always been a bit fritzy so auto is not intuitive enough for me....
Perhaps i can retrain myself to adapt....
In summary my auto setting works fine, i'm just a fussy bastard!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento KX-2 2.2TD 6 Speed Manual
65 Posts
Although i could be wrong about the temp sensor as it seems silly to put it in direct sunlight.
Its put their because we drive forwards that way it monitors the sun, heat and glare coming through the windscreen so it is in the best place possible

No good putting it in the boot/trunk that way its covered up.

For those of you having problems with climate control, if the cars been sitting in the sun for a while climate control on re-entering the car will switch to recirculating mode which sucks the heat out of the cars interior for 5 min before going back to its normal setting. That way the car cools a lot quicker

Puddy

·
Registered
2010 Sorento Platinum 2.2 Diesel; 2000 Chrysler Neon
124 Posts
Its put their because we drive forwards that way it monitors the sun, heat and glare coming through the windscreen so it is in the best place possible

No good putting it in the boot/trunk that way its covered up.

For those of you having problems with climate control, if the cars been sitting in the sun for a while climate control on re-entering the car will switch to recirculating mode which sucks the heat out of the cars interior for 5 min before going back to its normal setting. That way the car cools a lot quicker

Puddy
Problem with that is everyone knows things in the sun heat up faster than things that are in the shade.... the other problem is the thermal soak of the dashboard which will artificially raise the sensed temp.
I assume they have designed their way around all of those factors.
Usually environmental sensors are hidden out of direct sunlight and in fact i suspect the dome on the dash is just a cover and the sensor is mounted far away enough not to be affected by those factors

·
Registered
7 Posts
This has happened to me as well, i live in california, luckily this year hasn't been hot as usual but when it was 100+ degrees outside the auto a/c went into what i call limp mode, and after 3 days of not working when the temperature went down it started working again, this is ridiculous and i hope Kia does something to fix. There is nothing stated in the manual that this would happen if its Hot outside. Its annoying considering my other car has this function a 2011 sonata and it doesn't go into limp mode when its 100+ outside.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6
24 Posts
auto climate

has anyone figured this out? My auto climate control just goes to the lowest setting and does not auto adjust itself according to the climate. It immediately goes to the lowest setting of fan speed.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX AWD
17 Posts
Experiencing the same issue of low only fan speed on auto setting. Dealer ordered new control module last week, still waiting for part to arrive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had the same issue. Mine was in cold winter conditions... Fan would just drop to low....
Dealer replaced climate control unit. start happening again a couple days later. dealer then replaced thermostat and has worked fine since...

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX V6
24 Posts
auto

I will be taking it in this weekend to the dealer and see what they say and hopefully get it fixed or replaced.......so either the control modual or thermostat - good to know thanks !!

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 AWD
11 Posts
So let me get this straight. When set to Auto, both the temperature out of the vents and the speed of the fan should change automatically according to cabin conditions? This is how my other vehicle works. This is not how my Sorento works.

From day one, only the temperature out of the vents would change accordingly, but the fan speed goes to a low setting and has to be adjusted manually.

Not knowing any different I had simply convinced myself that it was just a poor design. I like to set it in Auto mode, but then just adjust the fan speed myself. If this isn't the way it is designed to function, I'm happy, I'll have the dealer fix it at my next oil change.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts