Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New recent issue....when I step on the brake pedal there is a clicking sound in the center of the dash. Kind of sounds like a switch being activated. Quite annoying. Anybody else hear this or know what the sound may be?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
There is a TSB for it. Dealer should be familiar.

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 AWD 2016 Jayco X17Z
20 Posts
I talked about this issue to my dealer last week and he suggested I file a complaint to Kia Canada. Dealer is not aware of a TSB.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
remember TSB's between Canada and the US may not always be the same.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Hard to tell where the poster is from....there is no location info filled out in their profile.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX V6
52 Posts
I have the same sound in mine. Although, it only makes the sound if the vehicle is stopped and it sounds like it is coming from the shifter area of the console. I have not asked the dealer yet, but I wonder if is something to do with the brake pedal having to be pressed before the shifter can move?

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
New recent issue....when I step on the brake pedal there is a clicking sound in the center of the dash. Kind of sounds like a switch being activated. Quite annoying. Anybody else hear this or know what the sound may be?
I've experienced it in numerous Kia Sorento's and written about here. Of course, the dealer claims it's my imagination because I'm the only one in the world to ever report this.

The degree of clicking will vary and get worse over time.

If you check you can notice it to varying degrees in other Kia and Hyundai vehicles so it must be part of the universal design.

It's programmed to happen whenever you touch the brakes at low speeds.

I think it has something to do with an interlock solenoid.

I really really wish they would redesign and recall this, because it makes a higher quality vehicle feel cheap.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I hate to say it but I have been hearing a clicking whenever I'm driving and step on the brakes aswell. It doesn't matter what gear the car is in. I noticed it today while sitting in a drive-thru.

Is this what everyone is talking about? Or is this problem only when removing the vehicle from park?

·
Registered
148 Posts
remember TSB's between Canada and the US may not always be the same.
Other than:

(a) sloppiness on the part of Kia Canada

(b) the very very rare instance where a vehicle part is different in the US version than the Canadian

Is there any reason why every TSB shouldn't apply on both sides of the border?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hate to say it but I have been hearing a clicking whenever I'm driving and step on the brakes aswell. It doesn't matter what gear the car is in. I noticed it today while sitting in a drive-thru.

Is this what everyone is talking about? Or is this problem only when removing the vehicle from park?
Yes, you will find this click/thump/bump only happens below a certain speed though.

My theory is it's part of the vehicle and/or transmission logic on Hyundai/Kia vehicles. Perhaps the use of cheap or clunky solenoids makes the issue more prominent.

I've never solved or resolved fully, the best you can do is keep changing the solenoid until you get one that's quieter. I would like to see the design and wonder if it couldn't be cushioned or use a better quality part as it really lowers the feeling of quality when your vehicle snaps and clunks every time you press the brake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took our 2012 LX 3.5L AWD into the dealer for the transmission interlock solenoid. Got the song and dance that it is normal, not an operational or saftey problem and they will not change it out. I told the dealer it never used to make the sound from new and have driven in other Sorento's and they don't make the sound. Also told him that social media sites such as this have record that other canadian dealers have swapped out the solenoid. Dealer would not budge. I'll likely be contacting KIA Canada to elevate my concern.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
I've noticed the clicking comes and goes, or rather the volume of the clicking.
For Example I drive on a rough unpaved road afterwhich I can hear it, then after another unpaved road trip it's back.
Almost like the tranny shift moves just a few millimeters either way, increasing or decreasing the gap.
You might also notice a difference if you're in sports mode, (the different position of the shift lever)
It would not surprise me, if KIA wrapped the tip of the solenoid lock with paper tape to dampen the metal to metal click and it just wears off.
I don't let it bother me anymore, however I can imagine for those caught in gridlock could drive you nuts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think what everyone is referring to is when you press the brake pedal you hear a "click" or something to that effect from the shifter area?

The sound that you are hearing is a plunger that is activated when you depress the pedal. It is unlocking the shift selector so that you can go to a different gear. If you put you hand on the shift knob you might be able to feel it. This is normal. Now if the sound get really loud the yes, bring it into your local dealer so they can inspect further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this brake pedal noise started at 41500 on this Sorento. Took it to dealer and he said it was normal. Why then did I not hear it until 41500 miles???? It is very annoying and I can't believe it is supposed to make that noise each time you apply the brakes and release. He told me that any new Sorento would make the sound and brought up a new car to show me...IT DIDN'T MAKE THE NOISE?????????????...frustrated!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone!

I am in South Africa - I have a 2013 XM AWD, and it started to do the exact same thing at just over 40 000km (25k miles). the vehicle now has 48 000km on the ODO.

I have not yet informed the dealer of such - but planning on doing so soon.

Regards
Francois

·
Registered
'98 Silverado (farm truck), '11 Sorento LX-AWD (was mine now SWMBO's), '15 Sorento EX-V6
85 Posts
Dredging this one back up because it's really the only complaint I ever had with my '11 Sorento. My wife is the daily driver of it now (I have a '15 EX V6) - I put 235,000km/150000mi (all highway) on it before I gave it to her 2 months ago (her daily drive is <10km/6mi, mine is 260km/160mi - it'll probably last her 5 more years).

So anyway - I was driving it again on the weekend running some errands with her, and the clunking of the shift lever interlock at low speeds with brake press/release was really annoying me (my '15 doesn't do it. at all.) It's so predictable that <5mph I can tap and release the pedal as much as I want and actually play a rhythm on the solenoid to entertain my little one in the back seat. So anyway it got under my feathers and I asked the Mrs. if she minded if I tried to do something about it (she said PLEASE DO!).

So - remove the shift knob (park vehicle on level, apply PB, put transmission in N or D, pull up firmly on knob). Remove the cowl all around the shift lever area and set it aside (there's instructions out there on how to do it - I found them searching through the forums). Now the whole interlock mechanism is easily seen and accessed. Put shift in N and start vehicle. Press and release brake and watch interlock solenoid move and see the mechanism it moves. It's obviously the linkage between the solenoid and mechanism. The mechanism (essentially a slider that moves in the way of the shifter and back out of it's way, allowing you to move from N to R ensuring you're not significantly moving forward shifting into R and have brakes depressed) is all plastic/nylon. The solenoid is metal and plastic. The plastic wears from repeated actuation and appears to wear out the connection between them. No easy fix as it's a loose fit that's allowing the clunking noise to happen. I got in the other car and went to the the local auto store (Canadian Tire for those of you north of the border :) - and bought a large tube of very high viscosity lithium grease. I jammed the living crap out of the mechanism with the lithium grease to try to fill up all the little gaps and all the moving parts, so that even if it does have wear, it's not a noisy rattle. 95% reduction in noise immediately.

I drove the car again this evening, 4 days later, after she's had it out for several trips on several days, and it's still almost inaudible. If it only needs to be done every 6 months or so going forward - win. Oh and for me - the noise started about a week after the warranty was gone - at about 105,000km (62,000mi) when the car was about 20 months old.

·
Registered
2016 Fusion 2012 Sorento V6 EX AWD, 2002 Miata
91 Posts
Good post CCO! I twas educationnal, and fun reading. I will do the same with mine.

·
Registered
'98 Silverado (farm truck), '11 Sorento LX-AWD (was mine now SWMBO's), '15 Sorento EX-V6
85 Posts
Had this same problem, took it to dealership about a year ago, they fixed it. It just started doing it again :(
I am surprised not every Sorento out there from '11/'12 has this issue after 1-2 years. As I posted above, when I took it all apart and examined it, it's clear that the linkage from the solenoid to the release is a metal on plastic wear area, and I would think it would only take a few thousand activations of the solenoid to wear the plastic enough that it audibly clicks due to the loose fit.

I think that short of replacing the parts every few thousand miles, the only option would be to completely disassemble the unit, and put something like heat shrink tube over every joint, or put rubber bands or elastics around every joint, so that there's no way for the loose parts to clatter against each other. I don't feel like ripping that far into my center console - so as I said above - I just tried filling in all the linkage areas with thick white lithium grease in hopes that it'll keep the pieces from being too loose and slapping around as the engage and disengage. Since I'm out of warranty there's always the option of just removing/bypassing the whole thing (disconnect solenoid and use some twine to tie it in the release position - then I just have to make sure I don't throw the car in reverse when in motion - but considering none of my cars the first 30 years of my life had that.. I think I'll be fine)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts