Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleared the corners on my 04 Optima. This is what you will need and how it is done. It is called the bake method.

What you will need:
1. 10mm socket
2. Flat head screwdriver
3. Philips screwdriver
4. An oven
5. Cookie Sheet
6. Utility knife
7. Silicone Caulking (Clear)
8. Patience

This is how it is done:
1. How to remove the headlight. There are two 10mm screws. One is above the headlight and the other one is between the headlight and the highbeam headlight. Unplug the two harnesses that hook into the headlight and it is ready to be removed the car.

2. Now that it is out of the car remove the parking light bulb along with the wiring harness that is hooked to it by twisting the bulb out and removing a philips head screw at the other end of the harness. After that remove the other two philips head screws out of the back of the headlight.

3. Now its time to bake the headlight to loosen the glue so that way you can pull the front and back of it apart. Remove the top rack in the oven. Place the headlight on a cookie sheet and place it in the oven. Put it in for 10 to 12 minutes (times may vary) at 150 degrees. Keep an eye on it every couple of minutes.

4. Once the headlight has been removed from the oven take a small flat head screwdriver and pry the front and back parts of the headlight apart. If you hear a cracking sound it is ok its just the glue breaking apart.

5. Once the front and back part of the light has been taken apart take the front part of the headlight and remove the two small screws in it and pull the insert out that is in there. Now that it is out pop the amber piece out. Thats what you have been working for!

6. Now it is time to put it back together. Take a utility knive and remove all of the glue on both the front and back part of the headlight. Now take the silicone caulking and run a bead of it on the black back part of the headlight where the front part meets it. Now put them together. Put all of the screws back in it. Wipe off any access caulking that may have squeezed out when putting them back together. Now let it all dry before putting the parking light back in it and putting it back on the car.

[attachmentid=450]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
Very nice how to!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
It sounds hard to do but it really isnt at all.
It anyone has any questions pm me. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
i wish i knew about this method when i took out my hazard lights to refinish the inside & seal the leak. i would have saved my hands from all the cuts & scratches they now have :blink:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While clearing my corners I managed to cut my hand only once.
If ya have any questions about it feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Heh.. hmm i have yet to do this project.. but then again.. I've seen the 2005/2006 Optima and they already have the clear corners.. but just uses the yellow bulb.. sux!! grr.. :p

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know the Optima now has clear corners. It pissed me off when I saw that. :angry: :p

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Blah, I think I'm just going to keep my Optima look'n stock.. just stick with the internals/audio... oh btw I just bought a pair of Rockford Fosgate 6x9's,.. can't wait to install them! lol.. but then again.. I still need a new head unit! :p

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah you should be able to use 05's in your 04. Same headlight just one has the orange reflector and the other one doesnt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts