Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX V-6
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share this bit of "wisdom". I worked as the webmaster at a KIA, Hyundai, Ford, VW franchise for over 5 years, and took photos of each vehicle for the webpages. One thing I noticed was that, even after bringing this to the attention of management, cars that had GPS almost always still had the "Home" link active and I could instantly see exactly where the previous owner lived.

Don't assume the dealer will erase these. If you don't want your home address, or the addresses of your friends and relatives, given to the next owner (who may be pissed off if something breaks), take time to erase all of those links from your GPS.

Just in case the next Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy buys your car. LOL

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,804 Posts
Good security advice.

Some folks don't use their exact address for the "Home" button, but rather a home nearby out of range of the garage door opener, just in case the car is stolen and the perps can make a house call.

Our state requires you to carry proof of insurance, registration certificate, and drivers license - the registration has your home address is kept in the car, and available to a car thief.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX V-6
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I forgot to add: Delete your phones out also, unless you want the new owner to have your phone number. (And all of your family and friends)

And, yes, ron, some new vehicles have built in garage door openers - make sure you clear that out, too. Theoretically, the new owner could have directions to your house on the GPS and then open your garage when you're not home.

I know, I know, paranoid. But with all the weird stuff going on in the news, I'd rather err on the safe side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts