Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've enjoyed reading through the forum and figured I'd put up my first post. This is my first Kia - although I almost pulled the trigger on an Optima earlier in the year. We ended up with the Sportage because we gave our 375K mile RX300 to my parents (who were in need of a car). I've been thoroughly impressed.

Tinted/badged

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updates from this weekend -
  • Love bug season in FL (the deflector is a requirement)
  • TDI Grill - a lot easier than expected - I'm going to experiment with the OEM grill and Carbon Fiber (we'll see how it goes)

Planning some Plastidip touches this weekend if the weather holds up.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plastidipped the emblems - started with the back; the front comes next weekend. (Thanks Dan00Hawk for the inspiration)

Hard to tell from these pix, but the Flying K gloss/flat looks pretty slick in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Thinking about doing some eyelids with Plastidip to see how it turns out....
Yeah the big emblems weren't too bad to change (3M Adhesive) - the back came off with dental floss (although fishing line would be easier - just didn't have any on hand). The front was a little more of a pain as you have to break tabs that hold it to the grill. You also have to take out two bolts and 2 fasteners that hold on the shroud to get access to the back of grill. It took me about an 1/2 hour (5 minutes to remove the bolts and fasteners - 25 minutes to find the bolt I dropped).

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Emblems look nice. Nice NSX. What do you have done to it? Kudos for not swapping the badges on it to Honda ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't wait til the weekend. Plasti dipped the front grill, badge and eyelids last night. All came out welll (pix don't do it justice). The eyelids however would have looked great but the seam didn't break clean when I removed the tape so I had to take it all off. I'm going to attempt again after doing some research.
I love this Plastidip stuff!!

Emblems look nice. Nice NSX. What do you have done to it? Kudos for not swapping the badges on it to Honda ones.
Thanks! Nothing too dramatic - I've got a Pioneer Head Unit, Carbon Fiber Type R wing, and plans for a twin turbo from Science of Speed some time in 2013.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo
38 Posts
Not a fan of that plasti-dipped look. I love the matte on cars like the new Nissan GTR, but I don't see it on the Sportage.

Different strokes for different folks though. Good to hear you're impressed with your Sportage though! I just got my Sportage 2-3 days ago and so far it's exceeded all my expectations by leaps and bounds. I was also impressed with their other models, especially the fully loaded Optima and Optima Hybrid.

Kia is definitely shifting gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts