Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
I don't know if it is possible but does anyone know of an easy way to clean oily sludge out of my Kia Carens 2000 engine. I had it in for a service and some minor repairs,and the garage told me that it would be as well for me to get rid of the car while it is still running!!!! I could not and would not do something like that to anyone,so if there are any solutions I would be glad to hear them. This is something I would be doing myself so if it is too involved I may not be able to manage it.(note I am 67 years old/young:)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
There are additives you can add to an engine right before an oil change; I used them a few times on an older car I had. You pour the product in and let the engine run for a time and then shut it off, then change the oil and filter. You are not suppoed to drive with the product in, at least the ones I used where that way. Some of the quick oil change places will do this too. If you really have a bad buildup of sludge you might have to do it several times. Question is why did it build up? Wrong type of oil used? Engine overheating (cooks oil into a sludge over time)? or oil not changed at proper intervals? Reason I ask, could dealer just be trying to sell you something? Might want to get another opinion before doing anything to the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are additives you can add to an engine right before an oil change; I used them a few times on an older car I had. You pour the product in and let the engine run for a time and then shut it off, then change the oil and filter. You are not suppoed to drive with the product in, at least the ones I used where that way. Some of the quick oil change places will do this too. If you really have a bad buildup of sludge you might have to do it several times. Question is why did it build up? Wrong type of oil used? Engine overheating (cooks oil into a sludge over time)? or oil not changed at proper intervals? Reason I ask, could dealer just be trying to sell you something? Might want to get another opinion before doing anything to the car.
Thanks roadbug,I suspect it may be my own fault,as I have driven the car for a long time without an oilchange as you suggested.I will try the method you put forward and let you know how I get on.Again thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Jackflash...
I'm not here to attack you for the lack of oil changes....
Here is a video about what happens when changes are not done on a KIA Spectra.. and how this mechanic went after the internal cleanup...
Quite informative about where the sludge can hide and how the sludge can cause engine failure in the future if it's picked up by the oil pickup..
http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-20.../83510-what-happens-when-you-dont-change.html
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX Tech/Premium; 2008 Rondo EX V6 7-seater
254 Posts
I've heard that when you try to remove the sludge using an additive, you risk clogging up the mesh in the oil pickup. Because what happens is the sludge gets knocked loose, then goes to the oil pan, and then when the oil is sucked up, the piece of sludge is sucked up too. And that mesh pickup sucking up the oil is the first thing that the oil and sludge pieces interact with, before they go to the oil filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jackflash...
I'm not here to attack you for the lack of oil changes....
Here is a video about what happens when changes are not done on a KIA Spectra.. and how this mechanic went after the internal cleanup...
Quite informative about where the sludge can hide and how the sludge can cause engine failure in the future if it's picked up by the oil pickup..
http://www.kia-forums.com/cerato-20.../83510-what-happens-when-you-dont-change.html
Dave
Thank you Dave. Guess its either strip the motor down and clean it ,or new engine or even car. Thanks for advice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard that when you try to remove the sludge using an additive, you risk clogging up the mesh in the oil pickup. Because what happens is the sludge gets knocked loose, then goes to the oil pan, and then when the oil is sucked up, the piece of sludge is sucked up too. And that mesh pickup sucking up the oil is the first thing that the oil and sludge pieces interact with, before they go to the oil filter.
Hi Kingfatty. Thanks for advice, I don't think I will do anything thast will stuff the engine up completely. Looks like strip,clean and rebuild. Ta for the help

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You could start with the oil pan and/or valve cover and assess the situation. Check oil pickup at the same time.

What type of car and how many miles? Might be worth doing a minimal clean-up and then "running it into the ground". In some places they offer "Minimum $2000 trade on any new car"; you could keep you old car until such an opportunity presents itself. You won't feel bad because they accept cars in any condition.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,791 Posts
there is much more than oil changes. Quality of oil, how and where the car is driven, frequent cold starts and so on... so if they claim frequent oil changes - maybe it was done so, but the oil was the crappiest possibly plus was changed in under 2 minutes on cold engine.

As for cleaning it.
On COLD engine remove the head cover (valve cover), drain old oil, put the drain cap back, and start spraying kerosene on the top. It should remove most of the dirt.
Once it is nice and clean from the top, drain it from the bottom.

Let it sit for at least 60 minutes with open drain and then pour fresh thick grade oil. Drain again.

Pour oil fresh oil (of course change oil filter) and repeat it after a few thousands km.

DISCLAIMER:
this is not the best way, but one of easiest ways without major engine disassembly. Never start engine when kerosene is in it.
Instead of kerosene you can use any pure petroleum or petroleum ether.
DO NOT SMOKE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi Wry çuda' Thats exactly what the garage mechanic said to me. But I will give the little motor another chance ,its been good to me for so long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you PLP for the detailed instructions. This seems to be the way to go, it will take me a little time to get around to it,but I will let you know how I get on in the future. Thanks

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
A couple of stiff bristle nylon 'pot scrubber' brushes (available at the local supermarket or dollar store) also come in real handy when using Kerosene or Clear Diesel to clean up the sludge.. And lots of rags & shop towels to remove the sludge off the motor.

If you have access to a compressor / compressed air with a wand tip, that is also helps alot - soak the stubborn areas until wet & hit with compressed air.. Wear Eye Protection!

(Had to do this on the 1997 Ford Aspire here, exactly as PLP posted above.)

*Make sure you do the oil fill / drain / filter, and another short-interval oil service (oil & filter) after cleaning.. *** Use quality oil filters, pay the extra few $$$ to catch any dislodged material from the cleaning. ***

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
Using an oil with a high amount of detergency can also help, just change it frequently until the gunk is somewhat cleaned up. Mobil1 New Life 0w40 might be a good choice, it has a fairly high TBN (Total Base Number) all the better to dissolve acids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts