Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having problems keeping their wheels clean?

Mine are pitted and I can't get them clean, the rear seem smooth to the touch but the front are really rough.

Anyone found a good wheel cleaning product?

·
Registered
car
4,204 Posts
Originally posted by uptheboro@Jan 25 2005, 05:25 AM
Anyone else having problems keeping their wheels clean?

Mine are pitted and I can't get them clean, the rear seem smooth to the touch but the front are really rough.

Anyone found a good wheel cleaning product?
Yes I am having problems keeping mine clean to. Mine are not pitted though. I dont use a wheel cleaning product because I end up cleaning the wheel like 3 or 4 times a week when it is warm out. All I use is hot water and car wash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Brake dust is corrosive to alloy wheels which explains the pitting on the front wheels only. Fortunately I got my car new so one of the first things I did was to wash the wheels and apply alloy wheel polish. You will need to put effort in and spend time cleaning the wheels as best you can. you can buy alloy wheel cleaner but it is no substitute for hard work and does'nt do a very good job in my opinion. Once the wheels are clean ensure you polish them. The reason for this is that on subsequent washes the brake dust comes off very easily. Just remember that after every wheel wash re-polish.

Simeon

·
Registered
Sorento XS
24 Posts
I also have pitting, mainly on the fronts of my June 04 XS but don't forget with discs all-round, the backs will go that way too - but not so much.
Clearly the new finish on the wheels is poor & compared to my Audi is sub-standard as regular washing should keep wheels in good nick.
Seems to me that more attention to quality should be made on the wheels from the factory.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It's not uncommon, applying a wax/polish will help a lot.
Kia seem willing to replace 1 set under warranty, but won't warranty further claims for same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kia seem willing to replace 1 set under warranty, but won't warranty further claims for same thing.
Are they covered under the 3 year warranty, as mine is nearly a year old?

My local dealer had a look and managed to clean them with the cleaner the valeters use, I have used auto glim and it can't get them clean.

How willing are dealers to replace the wheels or does it take a lot of arguing, as in my mind the finish on them is poor.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ask your dealer to submit a warranty claim for the wheels, they will then log it with Kia who will either accept or reject.
If they reject it, it's well worth you calling KIA custmer services yourself ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi
Interesting re the warrenty claim .... I'm on to Kia tomorrow as mine are terrible !

I have found that Wonder Wheels cleaner, available from Halfords works a treat & brings them up as new (98.5 % ) but have to be done on a regular wash of the car.

Cheers
Mark :haha:

·
Registered
car
4,204 Posts
I just used Eagle One wheel and tire cleaner on my wheels. It works on all kinds of wheels. It works great getting off all of the break dust and winter road grime. The wheels looked like new until it snowed again! lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.