Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I was on another website and someone used a mobile phone charger in the lighter socket and it has blown the wiring, has anyone else had this problem? I went on a trip in my girlfriends Picanto for about 6-7 hours with a PDA/Sat Nav plugged in and didnt have any problems.

There is a note in the owners manual for the Picanto saying you should only use genuine Kia lighters and should use plug in kettles etc. as it may damage the socket or the wiring (It does say MAY).

Kevin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Kev

I use my mobile charger quite often and have never had a problem.
I think companies put these warnings in books and on packets as more people are making claims these days. I bought some salted peanuts from Tesco ( own brand ) and on the packet it says, in small lettering 'may contain nuts' !!! and that's not a joke. :haha:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Good. Im pleased you told me about the peanuts, I wondered what they contained. :) :)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Haha :lol: I think Key2Driving is right. Talking about crazy stuff - I saw the first time I was in the US a packet of sausages with a yellow banner across the foil saying "contains meat" :p

Never really figured out if this was a warning or a joke....!?

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
158 Posts
now im a little confused. Im using a portable DVD player in the lighter socket, but if I connect it before the key is in the igniton, the horn goes off,(not the alarm horn) and wont stop before the key is in and turnd.
If the DVD player is on, and im stopping the engine, take the key with me, the horn goes off.

Anyone ??

ViCan2

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing I can think of is:
In my previous car I fitted an alarm (really cheap) and it was set off either by a vibration or when a car door was open, the latter was detected by the interior courtesy light coming on causing a drain on the battery, I can only think its the same sort of technology as that.

Kevin.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Originally posted by kevdyas@Aug 8 2005, 05:30 PM
Oh Good. Im pleased you told me about the peanuts, I wondered what they contained. :) :)
On knives

"Keep out of children" good advice.....

As for the horn, It may well be to stop you from draining your battery, I spoke to somebody who left their mini fridge on overnight. Needless to say the batt died. Maybe worth talking to the dealer? they may know.

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hey,

I'm definitely no expert on cars - but I happened to remember that somewhere in the instruction manual was mentioned something like "battery saving device".

I figured out this has something to do with the cigarette light socket, as I at the beginning had a hands free thing for my cell phone. This was powered by the light socket. When ignition was off, everything died :clap: good way of getting rid of the other person on the phone :grin:

Just like ViCan2 I noticed that the order of turning on external electrical devices and using the ignition key, is not random. My wife happened to activate the alarm horn when she somehow happened to do something in the wrong order. I certainly wasn't popular when she got home as all her colleagues noticed "ah, she's having a new car" :haha:

Talking about the wiring in the Pica, I noticed another funny detail. When pushing the button for the tail fog lights and taking out the ignition key, the annoying "bing-bing-bing" sound starts. Thinking deeper, this is a smart detail as you're not supposed to drive with your tail fog lights turned on unless driving conditions demand this.

Sorry but I cannot help you with an explanation on the phenomenon. Just learned to live with it.

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
The lights do switch off as a "battery saving device" i think it mentions in the manual, when you open the door. Unless you open the door, flick the switch off and on then they stay on side/parking lights. My alarm sounds if i open the car by key and not remote, sure hope the battery doesnt die. The foglight button does it to remind you if you switch off that the lights will be on next time you turn on your side or headlights, thus get done by the police/blind everyone behind you. I had a KIA Rio as a courtesty car and it went BING BING BING for everything, Lights, seatbelt, door, was really really annoying. If it didnt bing i got worried.....

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
158 Posts
thanks to all.
I think I will do the same. One, let the wife stay at home. 2, learn to live with the alarm horn.

ViCan2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts