Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup all, just bought a 99 kia sephia 5 speed. car runs great except after i shift and go to give it gas, if i give it to much, (more then a 1/4in) it chugs like im a noob with a stick. it does it in all gears. if i drive very very easy (and somewhat slow) it goes great. any ideas?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is difficult to tell from here. If you have a CEL have the codes read. Otherwise it could be a number of things. Spark plugs/wires/distributer cap and rotors. I would start with a basic tune-up if not done recently. Also clean the throttle body and check the EGR valve. I hope it is not a fuel pump issue. As you see it is a laundry list of possibilities.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man, didnt know if this was a common problem or what, ill start with the basics and go from there, just didnt want to start throwing money around until i checked with other KIA owners. thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your car doesn't have a distributor cap/rotor it has 2 coil packs check out www.kia101.com and you will see what I'm talkin about.

·
Registered
107 Posts
is it fixed? if that didn't do it then try doing the following:

Valve and fuel injector cleaner (such as cheveron Techron)
Use carb cleaner and spray the inside of the Intake manifold till all gunk is gone
(RECOMMENDED: when you get cleaners, They will foul up your spark plugs so get NEW ones to replace them.)
replace air filter and clean piping.
take a cue tip and denatured/rubbing/isolpropyl alcohol and clean the chips inside the MAF (if you take the screen out of the MAF PUT IT BACK IN).
Replace Fuel filter (helps alot more then you think, its located under the rear passenger side of the vehicle by the gas tank. have a Mechanic service it.)

also Prevenative maintainence goes a long way. Also use quality gas such as Shell, Cheveron or Texaco (I think its texico), and the quality in my opinion goes in taht order. Using cheap gas is like using an off brand of cheap offbrands. It has poor quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I havent gotten to do anything with it yet, been real busy with work and kids. I am going to get to it this weekend, leaving next week for Tenn, car show :banana: have to get it ready for the trip. I will do what you have requested and let you know how things go from that point. thanks again. :beer:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i did some stuff to the car with no change, still has the problem, i went down to advanced auto to see if they could hook up a puter and see what was wrong. It came up a code 303(i think thats what it was) number 2 misfire, does that sound right?

·
Registered
138 Posts
http://www.obdii.com/codes.html
It seems like it is the 3 misfire. Did you change the plugs? Now it could be the coil but I am not sure how to test them. Mine has a distributer and wires. I think it could even be the injector, make sure the injector is working. Normally if you unplug a wire you feel the car running worse/rough. If it doesn't make much difference means that cylinder is not doing his/her (you decide!) part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, thanks for the link, good page to have. yes i changed all the plugs, they all looked great when i pulled them out, all the same color and wear. nothing looked bad or different from one to the other. Ill have to go back down and have them check it again, i know he said #2 misfire but when i looked at the computer, it showed a 303. so either it didnt read it right or im just loosing my mind :huh: lol, ill get back to ya on this in a day or 2. thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
have you changed out the 2 plug wires? i had a misfire problem a couple of months back. changed out all kinds of stuff try'n to track the prblem down and it turned out to be the plug wires. anyway if you have'nt change them get new wires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by "Night-Hawk"
Use carb cleaner and spray the inside of the Intake manifold till all gunk is gone
(RECOMMENDED: when you get cleaners, They will foul up your spark plugs so get NEW ones to replace them.)
better to use fuel injector cleaners they work the same way but are sensor safe. just a heads up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, its got new plug wires on it and all new plugs. still havent gotten the time to go back down to advanced auto but hoping to get the time this weekend.

Y

·
0 Posts
I have that same problem with my 2000 Kia Sephia 5 speed. Have you been able to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Yellowf3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
from what the code read and what it seems to be doing, it all is leading to a bad coil pack, i have a guy from the forum thats going to sell me 2 off his old motor, i just have to find out if the coil packs from a 02 Spectra will work on mine. anyone know if they will? there both 1.8 motors

·
Registered
107 Posts
yes it will, they are both the T8D Motor so it will work just fine. Also when i said Carb cleaner fatman, I was talking about spraying the oil deposits off the inside of the intake manifold chaimber, not using fuel and valve injector, either way you should change your plugs when you use cleaners, and its not gonna harm the sensors so don't sweat it. Also I was gonna say coil pack too but you already got it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks man, i ended up going to autozone for something else and while i was there i had them look them up so i knew if they would work. hoping to have them by next weekend and after i get them installed ill post back to let everyone know if it worked or not. keep your fingers crossed for me lol :57:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed my 99 starting to do this mainly in 2nd gear when I first start driving it in colder weather (Wisconsin , Brrrrr) until it warms up just a little. I dont remember it doing it when I bought it last Dec, but I changed plugs with autolite platinums since then. I assumed it would like platinum plugs, and I always liked autolites in my Harley and a few american cars. Has anyone had problems with any platinum or autolite plugs in a Kia? I know my Honda liked NGK when I had it, so I was curious if any worked better here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts