Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX 4T GDI
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2012 Sorento LX for a month and a half. Most things about it are positive. I have found driving around noon time in middle Georgia the sun shining through the windshield strikes the chrome rings on the instrument cluster and focuses it right in your eyes. I believe if they extended the hood just slightly out that would elevate the problem. Or go to brushed black. I did a search on this and only found 1 other person but that was back in 2010. Does anyone else experience this and is there a way to get the info to the design team. Loving my new KIA V6. Have activated daytime driving lights and in the process of adding a rear hatch spoiler!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4L & 2012 Optima Premium Hybrid, 1989 KR-1 250cc "2stroke"
103 Posts
it took me a few months to adjust on that problem and still experiencing it sometimes, i love the looks of it but it bothers me so im just waiting for my wife to tell me to do something about it, if she do ill paint it..

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
We have not experienced any glare/reflection issues. We like the chrome accent against the dark colored dash material

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
I live in the tropics where the sun shines really bright. . I haven't noticed any glare and was kinda surprised to read about it here!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX V6 AWD, Dark Cherry
153 Posts
The glare is annoying sometimes. When the sun hits the chrome just right, it's blinding! Still haven't figured out what to do with these chrome accents.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4L & 2012 Optima Premium Hybrid, 1989 KR-1 250cc "2stroke"
103 Posts
i live in Louisiana, US, the sun here is crazy, its not yet summer but the sun is too much to handle from that chrome accent, i have my car fully tinted with 5% but still it sucks, our temp here 95F and 100% humid on summer times..

upon reading our personal opinions i figured something,
i think it depends on our height and seating position,
i tried to adjust the Seat Height, Seat Position and Steering Wheel to avoid the sun glare and it did help me, im not 100% comfortable with the seating position but compare it to that annoying blinding glare from the Chrome this is much better..

if someone still really pissed about it you can also paint it using the scratch remover from walmart or auto parts without removing it, inside it has a small type brush you can use.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento LX I4, 2012 Chevy Avalanche Z71
27 Posts
I experienced this exact same thing on multiple occasions in my Sorento. I ended up driving with one hand positioned to block the glare. It was really bad! It does have to be the perfect time of day for the sun to just crest over the room and into the top of the windshield for it to happen. But, when it does, it is blinding!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX
108 Posts
I also get it at certain times of the day. If I shift in my seat that usually takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
It's never bothered me, but I'm sure this topic has come up before. Someone found it was pretty easy to pop out the rings and spray them with matte paint.

One thing that *does* bug me though is when there's no passenger and the bright yellow warning light is on. Decided to cover it with tape.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX 4T GDI
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Sauron! I will look into that. I've got to admit that I like the way the chrome rings look but the sun can be brutal at times. Thanks again for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts