Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum, trying to figure out an issue with a friend's 2011 Sorento. He had the engine oil changed by Midas and has had issues ever since then. It drives normally when cold but shifts at odd times once up to temperature. He also has a few codes, P0711 and P0713.

I figured they had accidentally drained his transmission fluid instead of engine oil, so I went to check his ATF level. I found this plug on the front cover of the transaxle (the one on the side, towards the front of the car). Then he started the car, shifted through every gear, and put it back into park. I pulled this plug off (engine still running) and fluid gushed out.

Can someone please confirm that this is in fact the plug for checking the fluid level? If not, where is it? Did I do that right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
497 Posts
First off - stop messing with the car, you don't seem to know what you are doing and can cause more damage than already done.
Do not drive the car without ATF in the transmission, you must've drained about 50% of it by now.
If dealer is not an option - call a transmission shop and get it towed to get it looked at and fixed.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I looked at this guide. It shows an oil level guide that looks a little different than mine, but I couldn't find anything that looked quite like that. Is my valve body cover just a little different? Is the valve body cover that thing right on the front of the transmission?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
... He also has a few codes, P0711 and P0713. ...
Your friend's vehicle most likely has a bad transmission temp sensor. It's a systemic issue with many Kia/Hyundai models, and those codes are the smoking gun. Make sure you replace approximately the same amount of fluid that drained out, via the fill port on top, before driving it again.

The stealerships are very familiar with this issue, and will charge somewhere around $600 to replace the sensor and wiring harness. I'm not sure how familiar independent transmission shops are with this, and they might say 'new transmission', as they so often do. This is one of the very few times that I suggest take it to a stealership instead of an indy shop. It's not a good DIY candidate, unless you're comfortable doing internal transmission work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts