Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sorento 3.5 2005 ex- marvelleous car

When putting the boat in the water-- my foot slipped on the gas pedal and I went a bit too far back and the exhaust went under the water. Nothibg unusal and I am pretty sure that no water was sucked in. The Sorento behaved normally for the next day. However, the following day the "check engine" sign has come on and is staying on. The owner's manual says this is an emmission control problem.
The car wass converted to LPG at the beginning and has don some 12000 miles without any problems. Has the catalytic converted been messed up or am I getting a false reading? There is no decresae in power or increase in consumption. I am not near a KIA dealer. Help please?

Jonathan

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
having delt with lpg systems for many years, they run cleaner when operating properly.
not knowing if giving your kia a bath had something to do with problem your are having it is hard to say what the problem is.

i can say on all the vehicles we ever installed lpg on we had to do an exhaust system back prussure test.

our max. allowable exhaust back prussure 5 to 8 psi tops, anything higher would cause excessivly high exhaust and cyl head temps. you must have a free flowing exhaust
the higher the rpm the higher the temps

very high temps can damage ox sensor and cat converter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think it is the LPG system as this has ben running great for over 12000 miles
I think that the exhaust might have ingested sea warer? would this upset the
emission control system??

thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
537 Posts
the emission control systems differ from country to country so vehicle spects change.

if the engine was running when it took a bath water flowing back into the exhaust would be not likely. in looking at mine water would have had to traveled very far up the exhaust system to reach the converter

the fuel system should be sealed except for atmosferic vent for the lpg regulator and that should have been mounted high in the engine compartment

it may have been possible for the air intake system to have sucked in water, check in side the air filter box for evidence. if the water level went above the top of the front tires
it could have had some moisture enter the engine, if not as water but mist or heavy vapor. if this would have happened i think the engine would not have liked it and you would have known it at once

if the vehicle is running ok have the stored code read to determin the problem componet

·
Registered
77 Posts
My guess is that the bath and the light are purely coincidental. If it ran ok for a day after the bath before the light came on water is'nt the problem as that would have either been blown out or evaporated. The only thing suppose could have happened is that the water left a residue which has affected the cat converter. There you go food for thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody.

I believe it will mean a trip to my KIA dealer. Just one last thought- I did the first 10000 mile service myself-Is there a service interval warning? - that then has to be reset by a KIA garage? this KIA is running perfectly

Message for beyond help- is there a $advantage to convert to LPG in the states??.
In Europe yes. I buy LPG in Belgium for 1.54$/US gallon as compared to 95 oct. ... wait for it 5.89$/US gallon- so dont complain about high gas prices in the states!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonathan

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
All Kia's are obd2 equipped, if there is any other dealer or a good garage nearby they should be able to get the code via the obd port.

·
Registered
537 Posts
advantage to convert to lpg in the states....no, our emission controls are designed to work with fuel injection, to adapt lpg to cars would be difficult and may require cirtification. i don't remember seeing any local lpg fuel companys advertising to do so anymore.

pse+g a large natural gas and electric supplier had and maybe still a fleet of natural gas vehicles, one problem was the back pussure thing and upper engine wear on standard auto motors, and the 2000 psi fuel tank needed, a potential bomb!

lpg is big on industrial equipment, forklifts, etc, they at lower rpm appx 2500 max and most have special valves and guides , hardened valve seats and chromed rings

we took care of at least 3 local police depts and one taxi cab company and a few private owners of lpg vehicles in the late 70's

they got tired of paying for premature valve and piston ring failures

may be the newer lpg systems work better

lpg is not cheep here, 20 lb swapout tank is around $14.00-16.00 us, appx. $3.17 a us gal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Jul 30 2005, 07:17 PM
All Kia's are obd2 equipped, if there is any other dealer or a good garage nearby they should be able to get the code via the obd port.
Thanks Murphwiz- Finally found a KIA garage and he plugged it in... NO FAULTS- but he could not eliminate the warning sign as there were too many entries that had been made into the system when converting to LPG. ( this was a KIA garage in Belgium and they dont sell many v6's petrol/gas engine Sorento0--- So I said Gottta get back to the UK. BUT lo and behold - the following day -the warning has gone for good!!!!!!!!!!! Incidently - a few facts for the LPG conversion..

- 19000 kms since conversion/ jan 2005 - Car new Dec. 2004 v6/ex
- No lack of power ( I suppose you would not notice 180 hp instead of 190?)
- Oil consumtion is zero/ Oil condition is like new ( on second lot - first oil change
at 16000 kms- oil is Marley sae 0/30 100% synthethic meets VW norme 506.03
and above
- LPG consumtion is 17 liters/100 kms Max minimum 15.5. On petrol this is 15 and
12 respectively
- Conversion with the PRINZ 4 system/ sesquential/one injector per cyclinder
performed by Altenative fuels Woking Surrey/ LPG tank replaces spare wheel and
is a 90 liter tank taking 73 liters of LPG.
- LPG in Belgium costs 25 pence a liter--- so you can see its now cheaper to run
than diesel - current 80 pence per liter.

There is just one query-- the CO2 is more on LPG than Petrol ? is that possible.

jonathan

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
CO readings do tend to be a little higher, although it can normally be adjusted to be close to stock.
The only real downside of LPG is upper cylinder lubrication is virtually nil when running on lpg, and can damage heads of many vehicles, a flashlube install will lessen the risk.
And you must make sure the system is kept perfect, as the temps are higher when running lpg, if things start to go out of sync this could lead to problems!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts