Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "check engine" light came on on my '98 Sephia. The same thing happened about 4 years ago. Somebody suggested to me to make sure the gas cap was on good and tight, that it might go off. It did, and has ever since, till now. I tightened the cap, but the light remains on. I'm no mechanic, so any understandable suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,196 Posts
you need to get the ecu scanned otherwise without the code we cant really help. go to the nearest autozone or advance auto and they will do this free of charge.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
just say my check engine light is on and i need to get a obd2 tested to see the codes.
ECU= engine control unit
its the brain of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to AutoZone and here are the test results: Code PO171 and it says the #1 cylinder is running too lean. The possible causes are oxygen sensor defective, ignition misfire or vacuum leak, fuel injectors. I mentioned to the guy that it does need a tuneup and he said that might solve the problem. So I'll try that first. Maybe you have more to add with this information. If not, I thank you very much for your kind assistance. Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
well was the check engine light blinking????
if not rule out the misfire.
id guess it is a bad 02 sensor...
replace that see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.