Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "check engine" light came on on my '98 Sephia. The same thing happened about 4 years ago. Somebody suggested to me to make sure the gas cap was on good and tight, that it might go off. It did, and has ever since, till now. I tightened the cap, but the light remains on. I'm no mechanic, so any understandable suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I'll do as you suggested. What is ecu? So I can at least pretend I know what I'm talking about and not sound like a complete dumbell. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to AutoZone and here are the test results: Code PO171 and it says the #1 cylinder is running too lean. The possible causes are oxygen sensor defective, ignition misfire or vacuum leak, fuel injectors. I mentioned to the guy that it does need a tuneup and he said that might solve the problem. So I'll try that first. Maybe you have more to add with this information. If not, I thank you very much for your kind assistance. Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't see if the tester was blinking or not. I'll do the co sensor replacement. Is that something I can do myself or should I take it in to a place? Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant I didn't see if the check engine light was blinking, not the tester. Oops. The guy didn't say anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts