·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have check engine light and scanner showed these trouble codes:
P1123 - Long Term Fuel Trim Adaptive Air System Low
P1611 - request signal - circuit/voltage low

Im not sure what these codes mean exactly. Could anybody help me telling what they mean and what is wrong?

P.S. Merry Christmas :)

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Unfortunately OBDII codes are just indicators (highlight the possible system).

Use of a LIVE DATA SCANNER will allow you to check the values and components...

Guessing is just a crap shoot......Philip

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And where can I find correct values? Checked O2 sensor. Hot engine idle 0.1V. And 3000rpm 0.9V. Found in autodata that it must be 0-1V. I will check resistance of other sensor, bacause that I can find in autodata. Nothing more.

Is there any kia orientaden obd software like vag com for vw?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
You could shed some light on the problem by advising the Yr, engine model and country of origin... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Also let us know if the vehicle is running any differently or doing something it wasn't before. It could also help narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh sorry. Totally forgot that: 2000y 2l petrol 16 valves 128hp 5speed manual 150 000 km on the clock. Germany or Netherlands.

I think it drives the same. Well light is on for a long time now and I drive car just occasionally. Once for 2weeks. I checked sensors resistance. I found that throtle position sensor is bad. Well at least I think it is because according to autodata TP sensor resistance should be 800-1000 ohms when closed and it show 1700ohms. Strangely enough MIL does not come instantly, only after 10-20km.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Hmmm! you are running PETROL, must be in the colonies!! and you have OBDII?

What was the original market for that vehicle??

Provided the back pressure test verified the CATs as OK (taken at front O2 bung,<3psi @2500rpm)

time to connect a LIVE DATA SCANNER.

COLD engine, (KOEO)
AIT (air temp)and ECT(coolant temp) must be with in 2% of ambient temperature
TPS, 0% at stop and rise smooth and steady as throttle is advanced
MAF, 0% with no air flow
Battery, 12.6vdc, fully charged.

Start engine.
ECT, must start to rise and attain and hold 180* at idle and 2000rpm
CL (ECU) must maintain at idle and 2000rpm
MAF, small reading at idle and rise steadily as throttle advances.
O2, (B1S1, precat), must start actively switching with no lean/rich bias...
LTFT, (long term fuel trim), close to 0%, +/-2 is allowable, if more, time to investigate fuel delivery/illegal air
Vacuum, at unregulated manifold port, 19-21”hg..with a dead steady needle, investigate jitter or bounce.

...Philip

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well everything seems good except O2 and TPS. What should be value for tps at idle? Mine showed 12%
O2 (B1S1) - 0.11-12V, not much actively switching. Just by 0.1V This one is definetely bad. Is there only one O2 sensor?

Edit: I checked O2 sensor on other car and now I can see what you meant by "actively switching". O2 sensor is definitely dead. Thanks Philip :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Well everything seems good except O2 and TPS. What should be value for tps at idle? Mine showed 12%
On the OBDII scanner software I use here (see my sig) I also show between 11% and 13% at idle, depending on the vehicle..

If yours is similar that may account for the reading: a 12% TPS reading at idle would be in the "normal" range w/ the OBDWIZ scanner software,

(Of course, any suspected issue would warrant further testing on the TPS, which you did do -- was glad to read you found the issue, nicely done.)

FYI & Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks GottaCruise. I just have no idea what is wrong with the other code (P1611 - request signal - circuit/voltage low) Maybe a cable is rusted somewhere :D

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Thanks GottaCruise. I just have no idea what is wrong with the other code (P1611 - request signal - circuit/voltage low) Maybe a cable is rusted somewhere :D
in newer model vehicles the speedometer is not cable operated but is electronically controled so either there is a loose connection going to the sending unit located on the transmission, a faulty sending unit itself, or the speedometer cluster in the dash is the problem. check the connection on the sending unit look for corrossion or a broken connector. if this is not the problem, take it to a shop and have a mechanic replace the sending unit or speedometer cluster.
Typically this code indicates high resistive circuits, (bad connections, corroded wires, ect).... The ECU is seeing low voltage during self test..... Philip

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Agree with Philip - that code is a signal issue between the TCM (transmission control module) and ECM - MIL indicator line not isolated from ground,

See post #26 from Ace1564 for link:
-----
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/32811-kia-online-manual-free-3.html

Use WinRAR or compatible RAR-extractor to view/extract files,

Look for:
----
File: Group 21-4.pdf,
Page: 21-98 has the DTC description and diagnostic tree,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks.

Where exactly is oxygen sensor 1 bank 1 (is this one after catalyst?) and tcm?
Hi Pofkis,

* O2 sensor B1S1 = primary sensor, screwed into the Exhaust Manifold,

O2 sensor B1S2 = secondary sensor, in Mid-Pipe, -after- primary catalyst attached to the Exhaust Manifold,

TCM location: on US model here, under dash, alongside relay block - need to drop lower driver's knee airbag assembly, look for silver box w/ connector plugged into it (C229):

from the link / file / docs provided above:

navigate to the: 00SPORTAGEETM directory,

open file: ELECT12.PDF,
Page 2, Figure 50. Below Left Side of I/P

--
* unit is not labeled "TCM", marked "EC-AT control module"

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally, I got P1611 (request signal - circuit/voltage low) sorted out. My thermostat died, chaged it and a temperature sensor. Check engine light is gone. I hope it stays that way. :) Sorry for bringing up old thread, but its for a good cause.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts