Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1999 Kia Sportage with about 63000 miles. Today when my wife was driving it she said she turn a corner and it started to run rough. She also notice the check engine light was on. The fluid levels are all good. Any help with what might be the problem.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The engine computer detected some sort of malfunction. Hence, the check engine light. Autozone will do a code scan for free. The trouble codes will be formatted PXXXX, where XXXX will be a series of numbers. Get that number, or numbers if more than one, and post here and we can suggest fixes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it to Auto Zone and the code # P301 was what they had. Number 1 cylinder missing. They told me it is either plug,wire, or coil. Said it would probably be the coil. Looks to me like this might be fun to try and get to. Any help on the best way to change this out would be great, since I'm going to do it myself. Or any feed back if you don't think it is the coil would be good to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey AxeMan do you keep this message ...

"The engine computer detected some sort of malfunction. Hence, the check engine light. Autozone will do a code scan for free. The trouble codes will be formatted PXXXX, where XXXX will be a series of numbers. Get that number, or numbers if more than one, and post here and we can suggest fixes."

... saved on your comp and copy and paste it or do you type it up every other day, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I have a 2001 Kia Sportage and have been having the same problem with the rough running engine. I bought a code reader and found that we also have the same code #P301. I have check all the spark plugs and replaced but still have the same problem. As for the coil and wires, I haven't changed any of this yet. Will I have to get these parts from a Kia dealership? I haven't been able to find any of these parts at any parts stores.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by SmileyD@Mar 20 2005, 12:05 PM
My wife and I have a 2001 Kia Sportage and have been having the same problem with the rough running engine. I bought a code reader and found that we also have the same code #P301. I have check all the spark plugs and replaced but still have the same problem. As for the coil and wires, I haven't changed any of this yet. Will I have to get these parts from a Kia dealership? I haven't been able to find any of these parts at any parts stores.
Yes, most likely you'll have to get them from the dealer. Sometimes you'll get lucky though with some of the larger auto parts chains. But my experience in that respect is you usually get a blank stare from the counter help when you say "Kia Sportage" :blink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the plugs,both coils & wires. Probably did over kill,but for the extra money was worth it while I had it apart. Did have to change the valve cover gasket too, had oil around 3 & 4 cylinder spark plugs. The only thing left now is to reset the check engine light. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
Kia spectra 5, Hyundai Santa Fe, Pontiac Fiero GT
12 Posts
Coils and wires for spark plugs are at "autozone" I just bought one there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts