Kia Forum banner

Check Engine light keeps on coming on

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  kiaracer 
#1 ·
just wondering if anyone knows or can help me. my kia rio check engine light has been on since december 2003. took to dealership many times and they try testing it, and have replaced the cannister. and it still came on. Please help. my car is driving me insane.

#3 ·
ummm i don't know much about that. i can't really answer that question with a simple answer!
all i know is that there has been a long list of stuff dealing with it that the dealership has tried to fix. first it was supposeingly because we weren't closing the cap enough, which we did do more than 3 clicks everytime. then some hose that they replaced then it was the canister near the gas tank, supposing ly it had a crack. so while we waited for that to come in, they patched the hole with glue, and we then had problem with the gas tank, when filling up there was a air bubble. so that was bearable for the month waiting for the canister, so i thought it was going to be fixed once we got the canister in . but the 2 blocks away from the shop the light came back on. took it the the shop flustrated, they said the y checked it with the codes and said that they didn't know the code it gave them, and then the reset it and i came back on , so then it gave them no code, but it went back on. so i have no idea what the problem with it. But now it's in the shop for a few days. they are supposed to be ordering in another pressure sensor.

Sarah

#7 ·
okay thanks for the info, but the car went in and stayed for 8 days in the shop. and so they finally looked into the problem!! yipee. and the guys said that it was due to the carriage having the cut, which led to having dirt come into the system and blocking something causing the light to come on. and there was a recall on some part aswell... ummm thanks for telling us earlier!!!
well anyways it's up and running, with no light on for a week now!!! happy drive now, for awhile anyways.

Sarah

#13 ·
I have a 02 Rio & my MIL keeps coming on. I have been told by the dealer that it's a loose gas cap code. I have been into the dealer about 5 times for this same problem when the car was new. They have replaced the gas cap 2X and told me to be careful not to over fill the tank when fueling up. I have not filled the tank since then (keep it just below full)and always click the cap 3 or more times. The light still comes on and then goes off a few days later. I can't afford the downtime anymore so I no longer bring it in. I know how to clear soft codes but 6+ times a month....yikes! On the plus side I can reprogram the stereo in seconds. : )
Any Ideas?

#14 ·
there is no "gasp cap code" Its a small evap leak med evap leak or large evap leak all can be caused by the gasp cap. However the canister is known to bail out in rios causing the same codes. Tell your lot they need to check KSIS and do a full diag instead of half assing there job.

#15 ·
I posted this in "Check Engine Light" as well
The car is currently in the shop (light is on & it needs an inspection) and a rep says there are 3 codes in it: low evap, high evap and the third one he says is because I must have filled the tank while the car was on. I informed the rep that I never fill the tank with the car running. He told me that the code may have been triggered if the power was on when I was refueling. (radio on while refueling) Is this for real? Will the light go on if you fill the tank while the car is on? Is this BS? AAARG! I just want the light to come on when there is something really wrong. Is there a way to disable the gascap/evap sensor? They have to keep the car overnight because the light is still on & I guess the tech has to drive it to complete the inspection process or something like that.
I would love more than anything to pick up the car tomorrow with the light off and have the tech tell me some sensor was bad and now its fixed. Somehow I think I'm gonna get another lesson on screwing the gas cap on. : (

Any Ideas?

I picked the car up last night and once again I got a lesson on screwing on the gas cap. The rep told me that they had to put just about 100 miles on the car because the light would not reset. Was my car a taxi for a day or is that legit? In any case now I have to fill up the tank and that will probably turn the light on again. One last thing...once in a while when I accelerate from a stop the rpms jump up between 1st & 2nd gear. This causes the car to slam into 2nd gear. (it really blasts you back in your seat) This happens at various times and the dealer told me that they didn't feel any shifting problems but it's documented. Is that a characteristic on the Rio transmission?

#16 ·
Kia Rio check engine light

I have this problem all the time, almost always when it is raining or just rained. I think it is a short caused by moisture getting into the electronics. I always keep a pair of needle nose pliers in the glove box, which I use to pull the fuse to the engine computer, essentially rebooting the computer. Works every time. I'd like to hear them explain how a loose gas cap can be fixed by pulling a fuse and putting it back in... It really pisses me off because I usually have to do this in the rain alongside a very busy highway. I have almost been killed a number of times.

I've read about this problem on several websites, and each time the dealer charges thousands of dollars for various repairs that just happen to be for non-warranty parts. I think it is shameful that they let this problem go on with no recall.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to replace that particular fuse with a switch that I could mount on the dashboard. Any ideas?

#17 ·
your method is just ignoring a problem. if there's a check engine light on, there's a problem, not because the light just feels like randomly coming on. and kia isn't gonna issue a recall on every check engine light problem just to save you from having to spend money. i would suggest next time the light comes on, go to auto zone, advance, etc and get it scanned and instead of rigging up a switch to help you continuously ignore a problem and to help you avoid spending "thousands" at the dealer as you say, fix the problem yourself and...hey no more check engine light!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.