Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 Kia Rondo w/ 35000 miles and the check engine light came on steady. I found a list of diagnostic codes, so my question is how do I get the light to flash the code? I don't want to spend $$ for the computer diagnostic at the dealer if I don't have to.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I have one of these around, has worked great for me.

Innova 3100 CAN/OBDII Reader

If you want to know what the code is without buying one of those, a stop at your local Autozone/OReilly/AdvanceAuto will get you what you need. They usually offer free diagnostic reading, however, they will NOT reset your CEL.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Flashing is pre OBDii, you just need a code reader to read the codes. BUT, reading the code is NOT the same as diag. A stored code is not just meaning the said part of that code is bad. Your better off spending the $99 and having a shop diagnos it.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I had Autozone check and it was something minor (gas cap) and they went ahead and reset it. Perhaps an empty tank and extreme weather had something to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,504 Posts
Perhaps you had your gas cap off while the engine was running.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
glad you found the problem, on the '08's (I used to own one), you had to make sure your gas cap was on correctly otherwise you would get a check engine light. I used to always give the cap a couple of wrist-flicks to make sure, and other than the first time it happened, never had the problem again.
They redesigned the cap on later models and now its just one click and it has a separate light on my gauges (at least on the Soul) to say you have a faulty gas cap.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cobra, LOL, nope! Don't you kill your engine at the gas pump? But there was a good weather pressure change on a tank full of air on a model with a finicky cap...

Will be more mindful of the cap in the future. :) Thanks all.

·
Registered
2012 Rondo EX; 2011 Kia Sedona LX
197 Posts
If you have an Android phone, for ~$5,00 you can buy Torque (app) and on eBay a bluetooth OBD2 adapter (~$10.00). I have it on my cell phone as well as installed on my two 7" touchscreen Android head units in the Rondo and Sedona. It reads codes, monitors sensors and can reset codes, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

1 - 10 of 10 Posts