Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1993 f-150, 2000 sprtage EX 4X4 5 speed, 2009 smart cab, 2007 expadition limited.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay have drive the sportage for over 1,000 miles since bought it a month ago.

i filled up with gas this afternoon, drove 1 mile home. it set in the drive for a few hours. it is a bit cold right now about about 30. started the car left the drive, shifted in to second gear and it felt like is was going to die and shuddered pretty good for a few seconds. the engine light started to flash. i stopped revved it ups a bit, and it ran just fine after that. drove 5 miles not an issue did shopping got back in went home 5 more miles. running like a top.

but now the engine light is on steady now.

can i reset it? if so how? to see it it will come back on...

:confused:

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Go to AutoZone and they will Scan it for free and tell you what trouble code caused the engine light to come on. Then you will know what needs to be fixed, but sometimes you may not get a clear answer from them so repost with the code and some here will help you.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Flashing engine light indicates a misfire, that's a place to start. If the problem was intermittent and no longer occurring, the engine light will turn off in a few key cycles. Best to go ahead and get the code checked for free though, it might help you pinpoint future problems should they arise.

·
Registered
1993 f-150, 2000 sprtage EX 4X4 5 speed, 2009 smart cab, 2007 expadition limited.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay the light was out tuesday morning. just got back from a family funeral. 400 miles. light came back on about 300 in to the trip. went to the auto store they put a reader on it.....

the code is.... P0-422

it said, MAIN CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK ONE

the cart is running just fine like a top. so what is it i need to check? or replce or clean?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did some research.

bad would be burt out catalytic convertor.

the easy is vacuum lines or canister or fuel pressure, or exhaust leak.

i will chance the fuel filter in the morning. needs to be done still.

but any other info would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
The code you report is telling you that the CAT is not burning the fuel to EPA spec.. (expensive to replace on a guess)

The only way to check what is happening is to connect a LIVE DATA SCANNER, you will be able to see and track the downstream O2... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
http://kiatechinfo.com/

Go here and join free, this is the Official Kia website. After joining go to SPORTAGE >2000 ( NOT 2001 ) > Service Info > DTC > G 2.0 DOHC > Engine > Engine Control > P0422 Main Catalyst System Efficiency Below (Bank 1)...click on " DTC Description "......

Don't go to yr 2001, it has no info for some unknown reason.....use yr 2000 !!!

You can read here, It could be as simple as a vaccum hose leak, so check this before changing that expensive CAT, because that may not fix it and you will be watsing money on parts that are good....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts