Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 rio that is stripped no a/c no nothing..

I drove from Illinois yesterday to colorodo. When I hit the 10,000 elevation my

my emission diagnostics light came on (check engine) .

the owner's manual said that its the result of a diagnostics check and the emission control isn't working properly.

I'm assuming its because of the altitude and its sucking more gas than air at this point, which is what I would expect.

should I be worried (its still under warrenty)...

thanks

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
no emission diagnostics light is just for smog. so what if u pallute a bit more did u make the trip back? was the light still on after she sat for 3 or 4 hours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the light is still on after sitting all night.

I'm going to assume that its because of the altitiude I'm at. Once I drive back to Illinois and hit Kansas, if its still on I'll begin to be conserned.

Since I climbed up to this elevation its not running at peak performace either, but I've had that happen to other cars when in the alps.

its just sucking too much gas and not enough O2..

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
What up! No need to reallly worry to much about the light unless you feel a differnce in power or strange noises from under the hood. Anybody with a dianostic OBDII scantool sould be able to turn off the MIL light for you and let you know what code its throwing. Be careful of where you get your gas from because at times depending on how you drive these little things have sensitive engine knock sensors. Need more help just drop a line. Later!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts