Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shouldn't a 2011 Kia Sorento LX I4 encounter a "Check Engine Light" if the gas cap is loose or the gas cap is off and the Sorento is driven for over 300 miles?

I understand it is normal for this vehicle to get a "Check Engine Light" due to a gas cap that is loose, or is off. If that is true, why wouldn't the "Check Engine Light" come on when the gas cap has been off for over 300 miles?:eek:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
Based on the driving conditions, it may not have run the test to check for evap. system leakage. There are certain requirements that must be met in order for the test to run. You may have been just outside of them, therefore no check engine light.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
check engine light 2011 Kia Sorento LX I4

Running in 75 to 90 degree weather on relatively flat surfaces, combination city and interstate. Mileage averaging 22.3 MPG. Generally in sunshine during daytime and very little wind, less than 10 knots. In city, averaging 35 - 50 MPH, and in interstate driving averaging 68 MPH.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Running in 75 to 90 degree weather on relatively flat surfaces, combination city and interstate. Mileage averaging 22.3 MPG. Generally in sunshine during daytime and very little wind, less than 10 knots. In city, averaging 35 - 50 MPH, and in interstate driving averaging 68 MPH.
I'm pretty sure wind speed is not is the test requirements.

Are you complaining because the light didn't come on?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is my understanding that a loose gas cap can cause and usually does cause a "Check Engine Light" especially after quite a few miles. (Over 300 miles in this instance). Less than 12,000 miles on the vehicle.

I am concerned that the check engine light is not coming on, and wondering if the vehicle has been programmed to ignore "Check Engine Faults" as I had have other "Check Engine Light" issues (always the same problem, manifold problems of some sort) and made numerous trips to the dealership.

Most of my research says a check engine light occurs frequently due to loose gas caps.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Turn the key to the run position, do not start the car. Observe the indicator lights, you should see the check engine light is on. Now start the vehicle, the light should be on and then turn off. If it is working, then function is good.

As for the programming concern, I can almost guarantee you that it has not been programmed to ignore certain faults. I say almost because I am sure that there are programs that would allow it, but they are usually only used for performance tuning applications.

There are other quicker things you could do to determine if the light will recognize faults. Just start unplugging random sensors under the hood while its running. :whistling:

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Check Engine Light displays in the initial start position and goes off after the vehicle is started.

I have had numerous trip to dealership due to previous check engine light before the vehicle had very many miles on it, and while the vehicle is claimed to have been fixed, similar conditions continue to occur, but no longer get a "Check Engine Light" which if it doesn't display after traveling over 300 miles with the gas cap off, certainly concerns me.

I understand there are devices that can turn off the check engine light when O2 sensor readings are not operating properly or Intermittent MIL on with no fault code stored.

It all seems out of place when usually a loose gas cap so easily causes a "Check Engine Light". And I understand that normally a 2011 Kia Sorento normally displays a "Check Engine Light" when the gas cap is loose or off.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
781 Posts
You can see if there are any fault codes thriugh the obd2 connector as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts