Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 sephia all of a sudden started missing. Around 1 minute later the check eng light came on. Before the light came on I though it was the plugs (because they have not been changed in 50k miles). Would they make the light come on though?

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
The CEL usually means something emission related is not working properly. It might very well be a misfire. The only way to know is to read the codes and check online and see what the codes are trying to tell you. Autozone reads the codes for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I found a place close by that will let me use their diagnostic tool for free, but I have to do it myself. Is this easy to do? How do I do it?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
let me guess the cel is blinking. replace plu wires

·
Registered
138 Posts
The hook-up for OBD II is under the steering column. Just attach it there and the reader should prompt you on what to do. Simple procedure. Just make sure you write the codes down before you clear them, otherwise you forget it and its no good. If you google obd ii you will find websites that will tell you how to read the codes and what each code means.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Forum Dwellers:

I had exactly this problem with my 01 today. Reviewed this thread and others with similar problems.

Took the advice that says go to advance auto and get the codes read.

In my case, the codes called for replacing the plugs and plug wires, which I did, (not the coils) and that baby purrs like a kitten.

Moral of the story: Thanks, forum dwellers, for this resource of information! You saved me some dollars in repairs,

This calls for a dancing banana:

:banana:

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
if you get a misfire code it is 99 percent of the time the plug wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question (sorry if this is a double post):

How do you shut the CEL light off?
Will it shut itself off?
I thought I read somewhere on here you unhook the battery cable.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Magentis
219 Posts
Originally posted by pup55@Jan 31 2006, 07:33 PM
Question (sorry if this is a double post):

How do you shut the CEL light off?
Will it shut itself off?
I thought I read somewhere on here you unhook the battery cable.
You have to have the code read and cleared by an ODB II scanner. I would think you want to know why its on though.

I dont think there is a "backyard mechanic" way to clear the light like the ole days.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
You dont need to have an obd2 reader to reset the code.... just unhook neg terminal on the battery and release all the stored memory/power by hitting the brakes after unhooking the cable. if you have an actual problem though it will come back on....

this is the "backyard way" to clear the codes...

in some cases the cel would come on then shut itself off... like maybe in a lean or rich condition that the ecu "repaires" the condition. the ecus on obd2 are adaptive to a certain extent...

Like when you install a cai it will adjust the fuel trim to meet the colder air...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts