Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had check light come on, code reads P0305. Looked it up, misfiring on plug #5, a few possibilities - coil, plugs, injector etc. The only symptom is rough running at up to about 10mph, then it smooths out. Disabled, I cannot do ANY work myself. I figured the coil might be the most expensive part. RepairPal.com says the coil Part runs between $400 to 600. Ebay has them at around 10 bucks! Of course it might just be a loose wire or a dirty plug. Any advice on not getting ripped off?
p.s. this car is a Rondo but from all info it's the same engine as an Optima

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,937 Posts
You don't say how many miles on a now 12 year old vehicle....
IF original spark plugs, then yes a possibility. And on a V6 model quite involving to get to some of them, hence the high labor cost.
In my OPINION, I would suspect a dirty/sticking fuel injector on #5 cylinder. Purists here would say put in the Kia recommended fuel cleaner to the gas tank. I've always had good luck with Seafoam brand fuel system cleaner added in the proper dosage when filling up with my vehicles.

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
111k miles on it, bought it at 95k, no service records, no idea if original plugs. RepairPal's high c500 estimate was for the coil part only, the labor estimate was 50-100. I was hoping for a comment on the difference between c500 coil and $10 coil from ebay. Of course getting a garage to install something they didn't order is tough. I just checked Advance Auto and a coil runs from 60 to 100. Would your fuel injector idea account for the behavior of running much smoother above 10mph, versus unlikely to be other things? I'm a believer in Seafoam, used it in my 03 Bonneville. Do you think if the problem is the injector that a dose of Seafoam would (might) make the check engine light go away?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yes I do think an injector for the reason that the motor "smoothes out". A bad coil or plug would keep misfiring in most circumstances. And I know that even with your "disability" that you can add some fuel system additive to the tank on your own. And it would be an easy and least costly thing to do as a first step. Just remember...It has to be driven for it to work it's way thru and some time will be needed to work...not an instant change fix.
GOOD LUCK! :)

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,934 Posts
Just had check light come on, code reads P0305. Looked it up, misfiring on plug #5, a few possibilities - coil, plugs, injector etc. The only symptom is rough running at up to about 10mph, then it smooths out. Disabled, I cannot do ANY work myself. I figured the coil might be the most expensive part. RepairPal.com says the coil Part runs between $400 to 600. Ebay has them at around 10 bucks! Of course it might just be a loose wire or a dirty plug. Any advice on not getting ripped off?
p.s. this car is a Rondo but from all info it's the same engine as an Optima
I assume that the $400-600 is dealership price for all 6 coils, and eBay is $10 per coil.

I suggest that you check RockAuto.com for the coils - they usually list a few brands, including cheap low grade ones and OEM.

My advice to avoid being ripped off is to find a local independent service shop with good reveies and get them to diagnose and advise on the repair cost based on that.

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do think an injector for the reason that the motor "smoothes out". A bad coil or plug would keep misfiring in most circumstances. And I know that even with your "disability" that you can add some fuel system additive to the tank on your own. And it would be an easy and least costly thing to do as a first step. Just remember...It has to be driven for it to work it's way thru and some time will be needed to work...not an instant change fix.
GOOD LUCK! :)
OK, I'm going to try Seafoam next before anything else. Thanks. It's helpful to know that your experience leads you to think the engine likely wouldn't smooth out with a coil or plug.

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume that the $400-600 is dealership price for all 6 coils, and eBay is $10 per coil.

I suggest that you check RockAuto.com for the coils - they usually list a few brands, including cheap low grade ones and OEM.

My advice to avoid being ripped off is to find a local independent service shop with good reveies and get them to diagnose and advise on the repair cost based on that.
Thanks. I'm ignorant about coils. Since this code indicates misfiring on cylinder 5 would the usual play be to replace all 6? Yep, I forgot about RockAuto, will check.

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'm going to try Seafoam next before anything else. Thanks. It's helpful to know that your experience leads you to think the engine likely wouldn't smooth out with a coil or plug.
p.s. I know Seafoam isn't instant, it's a wait. But I wonder if the injector gets clean will the ECM electronics likely then reset to good?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Not having your type vehicle, I can't say for sure if the CEL will go off on it's own. Your first "clue" of success will be the engine's operation back to smooth where was rough before. IF so, and the light stays on then the codes will need to be "cleared with a code scanner with that "clearing" capability. Most DIY scanners have this function and are quite reasonably priced(and a great tool to have).

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,934 Posts
Not having your type vehicle, I can't say for sure if the CEL will go off on it's own. Your first "clue" of success will be the engine's operation back to smooth where was rough before. IF so, and the light stays on then the codes will need to be "cleared with a code scanner with that "clearing" capability. Most DIY scanners have this function and are quite reasonably priced(and a great tool to have).
The CEL will go off on its own when the problem clears.
The CEL will only stay on if there's a sustained problem - when the problem clears it will go off and the stored code will remain until manually cleared using a code reader or by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.

If the CEL is on continuous then clearing the codes will not change its status, but sometimes a good idea if there's a number of codes stored.

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MIA and Ron for this info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I put some Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment in a full tank yesterday but that will take me a month to burn through. I went to Advance, described the problem and asked for Seafoam. The guy steered me to Lucas as a better choice. Do you think repeated doses might be called for? BTW, that guy's guess was a bad coil. He said he's seen this a bunch and to change all 6 plugs but just the #5 coil. If the Lucas doesn't do enough. One upside is it passed state inspection (emissions too) only a month ago and won't be inspected for another year. Another upside is I couldn't be changing cars anytime soon so any sell price won't be degraded.

·
Super Moderator
9,934 Posts
Thanks MIA and Ron for this info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I put some Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment in a full tank yesterday but that will take me a month to burn through. I went to Advance, described the problem and asked for Seafoam. The guy steered me to Lucas as a better choice. Do you think repeated doses might be called for? BTW, that guy's guess was a bad coil. He said he's seen this a bunch and to change all 6 plugs but just the #5 coil. If the Lucas doesn't do enough. One upside is it passed state inspection (emissions too) only a month ago and won't be inspected for another year. Another upside is I couldn't be changing cars anytime soon so any sell price won't be degraded.
Before spending money on a replacement coil, clear the codes then switch the coil to another cylinder and see if the error code moves with it.

·
Registered
Rondo LX-V6 2008
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before spending money on a replacement coil, clear the codes then switch the coil to another cylinder and see if the error code moves with it.
Thanks Ron for this idea. I hope I could just disconnect the battery to clear, no?

·
Super Moderator
9,934 Posts
The CEL will go off on its own when the problem clears.
The CEL will only stay on if there's a sustained problem - when the problem clears it will go off and the stored code will remain until manually cleared using a code reader or by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.

If the CEL is on continuous then clearing the codes will not change its status, but sometimes a good idea if there's a number of codes stored.
Thanks Ron for this idea. I hope I could just disconnect the battery to clear, no?
Yes you can.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Well good luck to you...I kind of question how serious this whole thread is about from your first posting of lack of ability to do any work yourself and later saying it would take a month to go thru a tank(14gal?) of gas??
My postings were made under the premises of your initial posting, I also am classed as 70% totally disabled, yet find ways to take care of things without making my physical problems worse.
PLEASE keep us all "up to date " on how things go for you with your vehicle.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts