Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used Sorento 2011 EX for two weeks and after listening to the horrible sound of the radio with those factory cheap paper cone speakers i decided to spend few bucks to try to make it sound a bit better(not hard..!).

I replaced all four speakers with these MTX 6.5" Car Speakers (TDX65)

MTX 6.5" Car Speakers (TDX65) : 6 1/2" Speakers - Future Shop

Got them for $74.99 at my local FutureShop( i Know they are much cheaper in the US but hey i'm in Canada and here almost everything is double priced...!)

Took me 2 hours to replace all four and to my suprise they sound amazingly nice.Lots of Bass, midrange and high, it's almost like if i had installed an amplifier as well.

With the factory radio i can put the volume to the max(at 35) with no distortion at all.

I'm really pleased with the result and suggest it to anyone that wants a cheap upgrade to the factory sound system.

I will probably add a subwoofer in the future but can definitely live without it for now.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
With most auto audio systems, upgrading the speakers to decent aftermarket units is the low hanging fruit to improve sound quality. $75 is probably significantly more than Kia spent on all the original speakers AND the headunit. :)

Personally, I wish auto manufacturers would come up with some sort of standard connector and standard opening and then let the aftermarket deal with audio systems in vehicles. By the time you see anything from a car manufacturer in the dash of a car, it's likely several years out of date with current tech. And then to charge consumers $2k-ish for a kludgy NAV system that requires annual additional spends for updates is just icing on the cake. LOL

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
Just got a used Sorento 2011 EX for two weeks and after listening to the horrible sound of the radio with those factory cheap paper cone speakers i decided to spend few bucks to try to make it sound a bit better(not hard..!).

I replaced all four speakers with these MTX 6.5" Car Speakers (TDX65)

MTX 6.5" Car Speakers (TDX65) : 6 1/2" Speakers - Future Shop

Got them for $74.99 at my local FutureShop( i Know they are much cheaper in the US but hey i'm in Canada and here almost everything is double priced...!)

Took me 2 hours to replace all four and to my suprise they sound amazingly nice.Lots of Bass, midrange and high, it's almost like if i had installed an amplifier as well.

With the factory radio i can put the volume to the max(at 35) with no distortion at all.

I'm really pleased with the result and suggest it to anyone that wants a cheap upgrade to the factory sound system.

I will probably add a subwoofer in the future but can definitely live without it for now.
Did you do the method of destroying the existing speakers, or were you able to find a suitable adapter?

I have both 2011 and 2012, the stock speakers of the 2012 improved and over the garbage in the 2011.

You should also consider adding a subwoofer. That will let you turn down the volume for better clarity over the existing 4/6 speakers while getting a more full sound.

Don't use the same power cable shortcut as this guy, but he does have a great video:

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-2013-xm-sorento-forum/101322-neat-subwoofer-add-video.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looking at those speakers you used they show sensitivity 92 db which I think is relatively high. Without opening a whole speaker spec debate, I think that is the right approach to use when changing the speakers and using the stock head unit. Higher sensitivity speakers should play a bit louder at the same volume setting when the power is limited.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed the same speakers. At first I wasn't impressed but that was with the FM radio quality. Once I put in a CD and used my iPhone that impression changed. The FM radio quality is awful, regardless of what you do. Th CD and aux in quality is quite good up until volume 28, at which point the head unit seems to cut the bass off quite sharply. Any volume above that becomes quite unpleasant to listen to, but at 28 it's still plenty loud.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX GDI
42 Posts
Looking at those speakers you used they show sensitivity 92 db which I think is relatively high. Without opening a whole speaker spec debate, I think that is the right approach to use when changing the speakers and using the stock head unit. Higher sensitivity speakers should play a bit louder at the same volume setting when the power is limited.
Yes the higher the number the louder the speaker will sound at a particular sound level. The difference between an 86db speaker and 92db is surprising. Efficiency is everything unless you are adding an amplifier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just installed the same speakers. At first I wasn't impressed but that was with the FM radio quality. Once I put in a CD and used my iPhone that impression changed. The FM radio quality is awful, regardless of what you do. Th CD and aux in quality is quite good up until volume 28, at which point the head unit seems to cut the bass off quite sharply. Any volume above that becomes quite unpleasant to listen to, but at 28 it's still plenty loud.
How are you mounting those?

I find the 4 speaker mounting bolts are approximately 7.25" diameter vs the typical 6.5"

Are you doing the method of destroying the existing speakers or did you find the proper adapter?

·
Registered
11 Posts

I find the 4 speaker mounting bolts are approximately 7.25" diameter vs the typical 6.5"

Are you doing the method of destroying the existing speakers or did you find the proper adapter?
I gutted the existing speakers. They're so cheap and crappy that I had no desire to keep them for anything. I bought the speakers from Crutchfield and they shipped a mount along with the speakers that looks like it would work but I didn't bother with it.

I've gotta say I'm disappointed with the head unit on the vehicle. The only good audio I get is from the aux in. Even streaming from my phone through bluetooth has poor quality, but through the aux port it's great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I did use the destroy method, easy to remove the old speaker and it leaves you with the perfect mounting including a seal of foam they did put in factory, that way you just drill 4 small holes for mounting screws and all can be done in less then 2 hours.

I'm listening to mostly AUX music thru the USB adapter like Jesse Cook,Sade and other soft music and can easily put in the 30's without distortion.

I have to agree with jkuffner that the radio receiver is not great but Hey for a cheap upgrade like this(+- $150.00)the sound have improved by 200%!.
I dont plan to add an amplifier to it soon.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts