Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. as you may know i just got a 2006 kia sportage lx v6 4x4.
my old car died due to a defective timing chain set (metal jaimed my oil pump), so i didnt have time to really research my car purchase. I checked for quality and stuff but 5 days, is not the month i would have liked. I am quite happy with my car, and i think i made the right choice. There is only one thing that bugs me about it. I wish it had a little more power, im not talking alot maybe 10-15 or so. Coming from a supercharged monte carlo pushing 300hp, its very, "evident" that the sportage could benifit from a little more.

i was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap (under 300$) or simple things that can be done for a little more pickup/ fuel mileage. like High flow air filter, better coilpacks etc... I know the engine is the same as the v6 tiburon from the same timeline so id imagine there'd be some stuff for it.
i do not however want to do anything major, like turbo or etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
K&N airfilter is available.
2.25 - 2.5 inch exhaust (I got 5kw (6.7hp) from the change. There are dyno reports on this site somewhere)

A stage 0 supercharger kit (as for the Tiburon's) will bolt straight on, but as you say, that is more than you are after.

Another option is either a piggy back chip that can adjust fuel and timing. Alternate is a reflash, but there are not very many companies out there that can do that.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
LOL... Cheap and easy is what we all want!

Spending a few hundred bucks on a tune-up, new plugs, filters etc. wouldn't be a bad idea. There's no percentage in spending much on a fairly old car. If it's a V6, it can't be too bad, provided it's working OK. Check various sensors and assess condition of catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2001 sportage ex 2wd, 2002 Grand prix GTP (for now) 2015 Jetta SE (soon with more boost)
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, she's a V6. Yesterday, i lined up with my friend in his prius at a stop light. I have some bad news, our cars (the v6) is as slow as toyota prius. its not because shes got bad plugs or anything either, if you look up the specs the 0-60 is .1 different 10.2 (sportage) and 10.3 (prius). the car is fine for merging, but i plan to get a small boat (bass boat, or 16ft walkabout), and i also tow my ATV on a trailer. should i be concerned about power in this area?

P.S i ordered a drop in K&N air filter

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
A Prius?
-"Shame Job" used to be getting thrashed by a VW Beetle; ditched my rental AlfaSud when that happened to me some years ago.

Boat etc. should be OK provided you let the gearbox do its stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, well the prius isnt the slowest car, but if i get beaten by a smart car, idk.
Wry'cuda, im guessing you mean just her tach like she wants to, It does have the automatic, though i can manual shift.

on the subject of performance, im gonna drop a filter in it tune it up, and focus on rebuilding my monte carlo, and focus on being able to beat mustangs and camaros rather than prius and camrys

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
Have to remember, the Sportage is 1800kg, (has it on a weigh bridge the other day 1800kg with a full tank of petrol) and the power is only 129kw at the engine. So for a small car, it is quite heavy, and the power is actually a bit on the low side.

The K&N will allow the car to breath just that bit better, but I wouldn't expect any significant gains. As for a tune up, there is nothing to tune. You could change the plugs, but they are iridium in the first instance, and apparently good for 120 000km. Engine control is via the ECU - non-adjustable.

You could change all fluids to synthetic, and ensure you use a 5W30 engine oil. The less friction between moving parts translates to lower losses and thus more power at the wheels. Again, nothing significant.

If you want more power, 2 - 3k for a blower, and you will get 20 - 30 kw more. A big expense, but it makes the Sportage a lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Wry 'Cuda, im guessing you mean just her tach like she wants to, It does have the automatic, though I can manual shift.
Yep, that's it. Autos usually do a pretty good job of matching a moderately-powered engine to the heavy lifting required. I'd only use manual for hill descents etc.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage LX 2WD 2.0L.
28 Posts

Skip to 2:00min lol
04lss....guess you didnt do research before buying

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,116 Posts
17.8seconds in the quarter mile in the v6, the Kia Sephia 1.8L did that. I wonder what it is for the LX 2.0L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts