Kia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Rondo 2008 LX V6 119kmiles, 3rd owner, White, 5 seats
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Prepare thyself for either no response or a negative response.
I don't believe chassis corrosion is part of the original rust thru warranty.
On your next vehicle take the garden hose in the spring time and flush out the under carriage with fresh water.
This will require you to get on your hands and knees to flush underneath the entire vehicle.
That should slow the salt monster down a tad.
Thanks Lou O for your comment. So far, Kia consumer affairs have been really responsive but now that they have the quote, it might take a bit more time to have an update!
Corrosion warranty is long gone. I am pleading reasonable service life expectancy which should more than 12 year for a car, even in the rust belt area. But to be honest, I have no expections. I am curious to what kia consumers affairs will do with a dissatified consumer that is now looking for a new car and their response will guide me in my decision of staying in the Kia family or not.
Since 2010 when I bought the car, every spring, I washed the Rondo undercarriage with the hose garden after I am done swapping my winter tire for my four seasons. On top of that, I go to the car wash with the undercarriage option every 2-3 weeks. Like Pretender said, this car would have needed a professional antirust treatment once a year. I like the suggestion from ricbrk who applies fluid film every fall and this is what I am going to do for my other and future cars. I really think Kia should have extended their rust proofing recall for the rear end to the front of the car.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
643 Posts
When I retired as a design responsible engineer from the automotive industry in 2009, (USA) the design life bogie was ten years and 150K miles. Design limit safety factors used were 1.2, which is not much extra. Good luck, I really hope Kia comes thru for you! At least hopefully they supply the component and perhaps you pay the labor.....

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
61 Posts
When I retired as a design responsible engineer from the automotive industry in 2009, (USA) the design life bogie was ten years and 150K miles. Design limit safety factors used were 1.2, which is not much extra. Good luck, I really hope Kia comes thru for you! At least hopefully they supply the component and perhaps you pay the labor.....
Lou O. Retirement is good, LOL. I retired from United States Steel after 33 years. You might remember years back when GM had the issue with the rotting out trucks. My 74 Chevy pickup after 3 years had extensive rust on the bed, doors, and front fenders. A class action lawsuit was filed and I filled out the paperwork to join in on it. GM paid me very well for the truck and even let me keep it signing a waiver. I put junk yard fenders and doors on it and built a wood bed and ran it 5 more years. I fluid film my vehicles underneath every fall. Our 2013 KIA Sportage going on 8 years old with it's whole life being spent in the salt belt is excellent underneath. Plan to do it with the wife's 2020 Sportage. Enjoy your retirement.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
643 Posts
Lou O. Retirement is good, LOL. I retired from United States Steel after 33 years. You might remember years back when GM had the issue with the rotting out trucks. My 74 Chevy pickup after 3 years had extensive rust on the bed, doors, and front fenders. A class action lawsuit was filed and I filled out the paperwork to join in on it. GM paid me very well for the truck and even let me keep it signing a waiver. I put junk yard fenders and doors on it and built a wood bed and ran it 5 more years. I fluid film my vehicles underneath every fall. Our 2013 KIA Sportage going on 8 years old with it's whole life being spent in the salt belt is excellent underneath. Plan to do it with the wife's 2020 Sportage. Enjoy your retirement.
I remember that well.....along with the GM Truck Side Saddle Gas Tank Debacle that Harry Pierce (GM Lawyer) put to rest.....GM could have owned NBC on that one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess Kia is using the same planned obsolescence! A design safety limit of 1.2 for 10 years thats 12 years; the age of my Rondo!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just wanted to update my case. Last week, KMA and I came to an agreement. They will repurchase my vehicle for a reasonable price; between trade-in and private party value. I am completely satisfied with the communication I have been having and the agreement. Now looking for a new car!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts