Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Rondo 2008 LX V6 119kmiles, 3rd owner, White, 5 seats
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks,
while doing my oil change, I poked on a few rusted places on the chassis below the engine and what I saw and disovered was not pretty; see pictures. One picture shows the worst part on the passenger side. THe second is from the driver side which is in a better shape. I knew rust was going to be the cancer that kills my rondo. I had to replace my oil pan, brake lines and spring coil in the last couple of years and rust was creeping up everywhere else. We had the recall regarding adding more antirust on the gas tank. But I am surprise that it is in such bad shape. I wash the under carriage twice a month and kept the car outside. THe situation is worst than what afflicted my Corolla 1987 and those were known to be really rust prone! It`s really unfortunate and that is stirring me away from kia for my next car purchase. For people living in the rust belt and Canada, how is your chassis, frame and overall rust situation?

·
Registered
2007 Rondo and 2000 Tacoma
118 Posts
My 2007 Rondo lived in western Maryland for the first 11 years of its live. I found one small spot (in the same area you show) of surface rust years ago and wire brushed it and covered it with spray on undercoating. It stopped it from spreading.

Don’t be too hard on Kia, my other vehicle is a 2000 Tacoma, you should read the horror stories about mid 1990’s Toyota trucks all the way up to 2010 on some models. Frames horribly rusting away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Toyota ended up replacing a bunch of those frames. Or I don`t know if they got a certain amount of money back. I was able to keep my Corolla 1987 for 15 years before it got the same problem as my Rondo. I was hoping my ROndo would last the same amount of time. May be I should write to kia and ask them for a replacement!

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,168 Posts
NE rust belt area "rust Gremlins" are NOT kind to ANY make vehicle, and some makes are more susceptible to their effects than others. My now long gone Early 04 Spectra was ravaged by them and "buried" within 7 years of owning it. Mechanically still 100%, underbody DISINTEGRATED. Our current 09 model is doing VERY well in "resisting" those rust gremlins so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard about the early-mid 2000s kias rust issues and I think they improved by the end of 2000. Mine must be a bad apple. I don`t see much 2007-08 Rondos on the road overhere and I don`t think kia sold much in the US. There are definitely more in Canada as they sold more overthere

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,898 Posts
I "see" you are located in MA.. and it IS an area that uses salt on their roads... I follow "South Main Auto" on YouTube and he is located in New York State... He is always talking about how bad cars under 10 years old are rusting away...

I know that KIA did have a Spectra Campaign for treating rust on the engine cradle where they either sealed the cradle with a waxy substance or if the cradle was really bad they replaced it N/C... The Rondo never had the sales numbers that the Spectra had and it probably wasn't covered under that campaign... You might want to try contacting KIA about the cradle and it being UNSAFE for you to drive the car...

I live in northeast Ohio (Canton/Massillon area) and have had purchased Spectras from the Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown areas... They had MUCH more rust on the frames than the Spectras from just a little farther south...

You could try to find an engine cradle from an area like North/South Carolina or Georgia on "car-part.com"... and switch the bad frame out... I did a search and they ARE available and found one in Georgia with an "A" grade stamp for $195

Engine Cradle/Rear Crossmember
Kia Rondo
A​
$195​
Greenway Auto Parts USA-GA(Stockbridge) Request_Quote 770-474-7999 / 770-474-7721 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
522​

Dave

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
No rust on my Sorento... yet.

Although I have my vehicles "rust-proofed" every year just before the winter.

I have the inside of all the panels sprayed and then have a thick undercoating applied.

I also wax/seal the paint.

Richard

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THanks guys for chiming in. DavesSpectra, thanks for checking, just learn about the name cradle/crossmember. I think I am not ready for this job. I knew I had a complete break job to do this year and rear caliper were also rusted away as well as my fuel line which I should have changed while doing my brake lines. Adding the craddle on top... I think I am just done with this car! THe financing on my Ody will be over in September so just pushing the Rondo until then.

Pretender, my father lives in Quebec and has a 2014 Sorento and does the rust proof treatment as well and no major rust so far. My 2015 Ody has no rust so far without any special treatment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention, I will write to Kia and let them know about this situation. Not expecting much but at least they need to know about this

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
Yep,,,,the rust belt! I hated rusted out vehicles. 60's vintage vehicles would rust out in 2-3 years tops! I would go to the quarter car wash at 10 at night and get on my hands and knees washing out the salt, but you can't get 100%, no matter how hard you work. Every spring I would carefully wash the engine bay area with clean water and wash the undercarriage with the garden hose. Now I live in the south, guess what, I talk to natives who have never have seen a rusted out car in their lives! Amazing what road salt will do to a vehicle.....no easy answers or solutions.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
...My 2015 Ody has no rust so far without any special treatment...

Well then now's the time to get it "rust-proofed" - before it starts.

;)

Richard

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
93 Posts
Heartbreaking when you see this rust. I was advised to stop driving my 1996 Ford Ranger when the twin-beam frame became crispy. I spray K1, diesel or WD-40 in door and fender wells. Underside gets a generous spray spring and fall. In parts of Canada vehicle underside can be sprayed with used motor oil.

There used to be a product in auto and paint stores called Extend. It was a catalyst that converted the iron oxide (rust) into a polymer that sealed and preserved the remaining metal. It or similar products may be available for stabilizing your current problems while finding other solutions.

USA NE Ohio
2017 Kia Forté 5SX 1.6L Turbocharged
6-speed manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks jw for your comment. Project farm did a review recently of a few corrosion inhibitor (see link below). I put a bunch of CRC 6046 on the crossmember so that I can keep the Rondo at least until fall and will try the CRC on my Ody. I wrote to Kia america today and will let you guys know of their answer. Like you said, it`s fustrating that pretty much all the trouble I had with this car is due to rust while everything else is totally fine. I guess I'll start to do what my father is doing in Quebec; antirust treatment and oil change once a year, one battery and timing belt after 6 year then 12 year, brake job here and there then get rid of the car when there is too much rust. No other maintenance!

·
Registered
04 Mercedes C230, 08 Rondo LX V6
364 Posts
A couple of years ago there was a recall for underbody rust. My nearby (but NOT local) dealer handled the corrosion protection per factory specs after jousting with Kia b/c car was not originally sold in the snow/rust belt. Fortunately my 08 was in California for its first 8 years, Baltimore, MD since. With no apparent corrosion issues

·
Registered
08 CHEVROLET HHR SS, 06 KIA SPECTRA EX, 04 CORVETTE CONV., 91 CADILLAC ALLANTE, 65 FORD MUSTANG
54 Posts
I am truly thankful to be living in North Carolina when I see posts like above. I always look all under my car when it is on the lift for an oil change. It is a 2006 Spectra EX and it still looks brand new underneath. No rust at all.

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
60 Posts
HI folks,
while doing my oil change, I poked on a few rusted places on the chassis below the engine and what I saw and disovered was not pretty; see pictures. One picture shows the worst part on the passenger side. THe second is from the driver side which is in a better shape. I knew rust was going to be the cancer that kills my rondo. I had to replace my oil pan, brake lines and spring coil in the last couple of years and rust was creeping up everywhere else. We had the recall regarding adding more antirust on the gas tank. But I am surprise that it is in such bad shape. I wash the under carriage twice a month and kept the car outside. THe situation is worst than what afflicted my Corolla 1987 and those were known to be really rust prone! It`s really unfortunate and that is stirring me away from kia for my next car purchase. For people living in the rust belt and Canada, how is your chassis, frame and overall rust situation?
View attachment 113602 View attachment 113603
That cradle is fully replaceable. If you do your own work you can do it. I've done a few on various makes. I live in the Pennsylvania mountains where we get rock salt, liquid brine sprayed from tanks on the State trucks and they literally dump gravel on the roads that they label "anti-skid". Vehicles get destroyed. I spray the undercarriages of my vehicles every fall with "Fluid Film" spray. They even make a hose kit to get it in the crevasses. In the spring I'll just touch up anywhere I see rust. I faithfully used it on my Jeep Wrangler. "The one's with crap frames", and the frame was good when I sold i. Stuff works if you keep up with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That cradle is fully replaceable. If you do your own work you can do it. I've done a few on various makes. I live in the Pennsylvania mountains where we get rock salt, liquid brine sprayed from tanks on the State trucks and they literally dump gravel on the roads that they label "anti-skid". Vehicles get destroyed. I spray the undercarriages of my vehicles every fall with "Fluid Film" spray. They even make a hose kit to get it in the crevasses. In the spring I'll just touch up anywhere I see rust. I faithfully used it on my Jeep Wrangler. "The one's with crap frames", and the frame was good when I sold i. Stuff works if you keep up with it.
Thanks ricbrk for your comment and your encouragement! It might be something I could do indeed but to be honest I am lacking the motivation to do it. That would be on top of a complete brake job with rear caliper replacement (due to rust). I think I am just finding excuses to get another car. Your experience with fluid film is valuable. I did not really want to spend money for professional treatment every year and was hoping that would be something I could do myself with a product off the shelve. I'll definitely start your recommended treatment every fall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wrote to Kia consumer affairs last week about the multiple issues I had with the Rondo due to rust which culminated with my findings on the crossmember. They asked me to go to a Kia dealer to know how much it would cost to replace the crossmember; the dealer quoted me between 2000-3000$ depending on which part could be reused, which is probably not many due to the damage they saw. Therefore more towards the 3000$ which is more that the value of the car. I am not really surprised. The technician told me that some Sedonas from that year had the same issue and I think there was a recall to apply rust proofing for the front end in their case. He could not comment for Rondos in general since they don`t see many of them. Will see what Kia consumer affairs says.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
631 Posts
Prepare thyself for either no response or a negative response.
I don't believe chassis corrosion is part of the original rust thru warranty.
On your next vehicle take the garden hose in the spring time and flush out the under carriage with fresh water.
This will require you to get on your hands and knees to flush underneath the entire vehicle.
That should slow the salt monster down a tad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts