Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be able to do this in my 2000 Ford Taurus. Now after 10 seconds or so the power at the 12v port is cut off. Is there a way to keep this port HOT at all times like a cigarette lighter? How many times I've been screwed with a failing cell battery and no way to charge it and I'll be damned to run my car wasting gasoline just to charge my phone.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Some cig. lighter sockets don't stay hot either. I guess you could change the wiring of the 12V port (what sort of connector is it?), or use a cig. lighter type charger for your phone.

I keep a cig. lighter adapter for my Nokia and charge it while I'm driving, but in an emergency, I wouldn't mind burning a little petrol. BTW, if you are using BlueTooth, that will suck the power out of your mobile much faster than you might imagine, even if you aren't using the phone much.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,057 Posts
Just rewire one................

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Many SUVs and crossovers have 'always hot' 12V receptacles - just not the Sportage. Maybe this is something they will do with the next model. It's great to be able to leave the phone in the car charging while you're doing something else. My 2003 Saturn VUE even had that. I was kind of shocked the 2011 Sportage didn't have it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly! Once you're used to a car having this ability and then to buy a new car that doesn't havre it, it really sucks! I always would have my phone charging if I ran into the store or gas station or during my lunch break.

You'd think with the Sportage having 2 12v receptacles, they could make one HOT and the other just with the ignition on.

Is there a quick and SAFE way to make one or both of the receptacles hot?

Just running a red wire to the battery + lead?

Many SUVs and crossovers have 'always hot' 12V receptacles - just not the Sportage. Maybe this is something they will do with the next model. It's great to be able to leave the phone in the car charging while you're doing something else. My 2003 Saturn VUE even had that. I was kind of shocked the 2011 Sportage didn't have it.

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
three

Exactly! Once you're used to a car having this ability and then to buy a new car that doesn't havre it, it really sucks! I always would have my phone charging if I ran into the store or gas station or during my lunch break.

You'd think with the Sportage having 2 12v receptacles, they could make one HOT and the other just with the ignition on.

Is there a quick and SAFE way to make one or both of the receptacles hot?

Just running a red wire to the battery + lead?
mine came with three .

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
588 Posts
I have a 2013 and there are 2 in the dash, below the radio, and one in the cargo area.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Old cars have these "hot" lighter plugs -- they're wired to the battery. Modern cars don't directly, so that the entire car (ideally) turns off completely, leaving only time to kill the battery.

It sucks if you want to charge your cell phone, but it's nice when the car can turn itself on later.

njerald is completely right. Just wire one in under your dash or something. An audio shop, or maybe even the dealer, will do this for a small charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Kia Sportage EX

I went through the fuse box to test for hot and not. 12v cig ports are not. Honestly though, with only 660 CCA (cold crank amps) on the battery it could slow drain your battery if you do charge your phone with the car off. I have 800CCA on my car and still wouldn't mess with it, especially if your alternator is providing less than 100amps to recharge your car. Buy a portable charger (much cheaper than a new car battery if something goes awry)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts