Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Spectra5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I currently have a 2005 Spectra5 with the 16" rims.
I deliver pizza in it, I put about 30k - 40k miles per year.
The current tires on the car are 205/50/16. I do have an issue with every single tire I have purchased (new and used) developing bubbles in the side wall. I also have go through 2 new tires, with out doing burn outs or hitting curbs/debris, in about 2 months.
So 2 questions here.

1 - I have heard that having a "low profile" tire increases the chances of developing bubbles from pot holes and such. If I went to a tire a little bigger would it solve the issue? I'm thinking somethink like 225/60/16.
I do not care if it affects the speedometer.
Also I have noticed that the slightly bigger size is more common, and cheaper.

2 - I need a high mileage tire with decent to very good wet traction. I work/live in Florida. I drive alot. I want something that I dont have to worry about within the year.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Those tyres would be 1.3 inches closer to the body-work that your existing tyres, and 11% larger OD. -They probably wouldn't fit, and if they did, it would ruin the performance of the car (gearing).

For city driving, I prefer 65 profile tyres. Our Mazda had 195/65-15, so I bought the Cerato with the same tyre size so I could potentially do some tyre-swapping. Various reports say that the ride on those standard tyres is preferable to that of the alternative 215/45-17. The 17 inch tyres are also $100 more expensive.

You might consider going to 15 inch wheels, but a better quality tyre might be just as good. I've had good experiences with Michelin XM1+ (Now called XM2).

·
Registered
2005 Spectra5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the tires that are on there now (205/50/16) there seems to be a decent amount of space between the body and tires. I want to stick with the current rims because they work for now.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Suggest you contact a tyre shop and try one of the bigger tyres for size; remember the wheel has to have sufficient vertical clearance to allow for suspension travel. The normal limit of tyre size variation is 3% which also allows for wear (2% max.) and manufacturing choices for a particular tyre size (1%).

In Australia, tyre shops will normally only fit tyres listed on the placard, and the suggested tyre seems ridiculously large. Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
13 Posts
i would recommend either sumitomo HTR's or aspen touring tires. you can go to tirerack.com and find them. i work for merchants tire in roanoke va and i put alot of sumi's and aspen's on peoples cars and they love them. smooth ride, nice and quiet, and inexpensive. good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
i know this is kind of old but i use 205/55/16 all the way around with no problem.it dont rub and dont effect the gearing or speed in my car. its very hard to find 205/50/16 tires under $100.00 a piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts