Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 4x4 Sportage Limited
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what gaskets I'll need to do a plug change? Or, is there a "kit" that's available? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
No gaskets required. The throttle body is a steel gasket and reusable if not damage.
BUT if oil is found in the spark wells a leaking valve cover gasket is at fault and should be replaced.There are many post here about removing the oil before removing the plugs and the installation of the v/c gasket.
Take care in removing the coil packs replace in the same order as taken out.Also the plastic pig tails get bridle and are prone to braking.
Hope this helps.
chief

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I start wrenching on this. The job itself seems pretty straight forward, but being the first time working on this truck, I'm pretty sure something isn't going to go as planned. Thanks again Chief.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got another question for ya Chief.
I'm going to be doing a belt/water pump too. What's the best brand to go with? I was thinking the dealer, at least for the belt. Thinking it may be a higher quality than the regular auto parts. Do you know if the belts are date coded? I really don't want to buy somebody's old stock rubber parts.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Are you talking about a accessory belt or the timing belt which drives the water pump?
OEM , gates, day co . Some online suppliers sell a combo pack which contains belt,water pump.idler rollers.

chief

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing belt. From the information I've gathered, the timing belt is the weakest part of the link.

·
Registered
340 Posts
80,0000 miles recommended timing belt change. Count the cogs on the water pump pulley the sohc and the dohc water pumps are different. Check this site for timing belt change, a wealth of information posted. Also check the crankshaft snout key way while you in there.

chief

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Previous owner said all that was changed when the A/C was repaired. I'll know for sure when I start working on it. As of right now, it runs like a top. Not that it means the belt/pump has been changed yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts