Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have never changed a set of rear discs with combined drum parking brake as on my Ceed. How much of a ball ache is it compared to a set of fronts?

I have tried to register on the Kia technical site as shown in the sticky post but my browser/computer doesn't seem to like it!

I appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Thanks

2007 Ceed 1.6 CRDI (113) Hatchback

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I bought mine (2nd owner) it had a small defect in one rear disk (evident by a pulsing when you pressed the brake pedal, the other 3 disks had already been changed, hence eliminated). The garage changed it in 25 mins. So its not a big job, but I dont know if any special tools are required.

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
changing rear disc

After removing the rear wheel, undo the bolts that hold the caliper and swing the caliper round out of the way, remove the set screw or bolt in the centre of the disc, easy up to now.
Then the removal of the disc is like removing a standard drum. if the shoes have made groove in the drum they are hard to get off, because it is very hard to release the adjuster on the shoes so to get them over the groove in the drum

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

If I manage to get the discs off Derek, how do I go about refitting ref the shoes? Does it have the old style ratchet adjuster or is it a hole in the back of the drum for the adjustment? It must be 20 years since I worked on drum brakes. All my recent cars have had discs front, drums rear but I have never had them long enough to have to change anything at the back.

Mainly because I never had a car with a seven year warranty!! :lol:

Thanks again

·
Registered
103 Posts
The rear shoes have what you said, old type ratchet shoes. once you get the drum on you sit there pulling the handbrake up and down till it tighten up and becomes a handbrake
The more problem is getting them off, a garage man my have his own made tool to get the ratchet off.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Ceed does not have automatic ratchet adjusters for the handbrake shoes. They are adjusted by rotating the brake disc until the hole (rubber plugged) is at the bottom (six o'clock) position and then pushing the adjuster around with a small screwdriver through the hole. Automatic adjusters are not required as the handbrake shoes only have a minute amount of wear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
deeps, there something with my ceed for they definite have auto adjustors,
I have had them to pieces

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rear shoes

deeps, I wonder what type of shoes Nemutai has, for it is unusual for a manufacture to stick to one supplier, they normally have two or three so not to hold up production if supplies are very slow or stopped

1 - 10 of 10 Posts