Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Bronze 2012 Sorento EX V6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a similar post in the Optima Forum I believe but didn't see an answer. My 2012 EX is a year old and just shy of 15k miles on it. At the last oil change the dealer suggested changing both filters as they were dirty, I declined as that should be easy enough to do on my own at a fraction of what they would get me for. So I bought the filters and changed the in cabin filter very easily. Got Purolator filters from Advanced Auto. But when I went to change the engine air filter I un-clipped the 4 clips on the air box, I couldn't move the top enough to get the old filter out. Am I being to gentle with the cover, or is there something else I should be unhooking?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX, 2012 Sportage SX, 1989 Taurus SHO
289 Posts
You will need to loosen the clamp on the air intake hose so you can remove the top of the air box for better access to the air filter.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
You will need to loosen the clamp on the air intake hose so you can remove the top of the air box for better access to the air filter.
You can certainly do that. I found it was possible to bull the cover up just enough to slide the air filter in without loosening the clamp on the TB hose.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday, this is the GDI 2.4L, pulled/pushed the box up enough to rest on the harness to the right side. Gives you lots of room to put the filter in. Seems rough, but it was fine.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
just shy of 15k miles on it. At the last oil change the dealer suggested changing both filters as they were dirty,
And how did he know that they were dirty? If nothing was touched in your glove box, you know he was lying. It must be emptied (or at least mine self-emptied when I unfastened the hold-backs). How fast it gets dirty depends totally on how dirty the air is where you drive. If you weren't driving in very dusty conditions, it wasn't dirty at less than 15k.

·
Registered
Bronze 2012 Sorento EX V6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did get it changed over the weekend, although after fighting with the cover and getting the old filter out, it wasn't all that dirty.....:mad:

I did throw in the new filter but put the old one in the box. I might actually knock the dirt out and put it back in, as it's SEEMED slightly more sluggish accelerating this week. Could be mental and the fact that the AC was on?

I didn't pay attention to whether or not the contents of the glove box was stirred, but the in cabin filter did have debris in it and was visibly dirty.

Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
And how did he know that they were dirty? If nothing was touched in your glove box, you know he was lying. It must be emptied (or at least mine self-emptied when I unfastened the hold-backs). How fast it gets dirty depends totally on how dirty the air is where you drive. If you weren't driving in very dusty conditions, it wasn't dirty at less than 15k.
One can take the glove box down and pull the filter out and put it back togeather neatly...

I dont drive in any dusty conditions, I just changed mine at 12,900. Both of them were dirty enough to warrant new ones. There is alot more in the air then dust. Ive seen them clogged at less than 10k, so there absolutly is a reason why they are changed before 15k.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
One can take the glove box down and pull the filter out and put it back togeather neatly...

I dont drive in any dusty conditions, I just changed mine at 12,900. Both of them were dirty enough to warrant new ones. There is alot more in the air then dust. Ive seen them clogged at less than 10k, so there absolutly is a reason why they are changed before 15k.
I try to make a habit of changing both the engine air filter and cabin air filter once a year. I do about 12k miles per year. It's easy and inexpensive.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
I check both of them every 5k when I change my oil. So its easy, and I never am surprised when its time to change them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts