Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005vsorento lx, 93 honda accord se
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it revs to 4k then shifts. i had fuse and relay out while changing sensor. do i need to take them out again while new sensor is in to reset everything?the vehicle is 2005 sorento lx,has 147000 miles. just wandering if i forgot something. i have driven it maybe 20 miles since the sensor change. is it still trying to learn the driving habits?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
A new TPS has to be dialed in using a set procedure. See the KGIS. You might be able to approximate it by hand by adjusting and checking. My car shifts at 2500 RPM when driven normally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for asking , what is KGIS?since its just me, i figured i would have to eyeball adjustment and hope for best.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Civic, 1985 Nissan Pickup, 2008 Toyota Highlander, 2005 Sorento 3.5L
11 Posts
I recall changing mine in my 2005 Sorento, without the special diagnostic tool, it was a little tricky with a voltmeter but you can make it work. Basically you set an upper and lower bound (throttle wide open and throttle closed) on the voltage output. If I recall correctly it was between .45 and 6 volts or sometihng like that. The tricky part was getting the voltmeter in contact with the conductors in the harness while it is connected. I ended up stripping back some of the insulation on the harness wires to get access to them and then using electrical tape and heat shrink to seal them back up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new TPS has to be dialed in using a set procedure. See the KGIS. You might be able to approximate it by hand by adjusting and checking. My car shifts at 2500 RPM when driven normally.
am i correct to assume that my tranny shift should occur from 2500 to 2700 rpm? if so, would it be possible to rotate the tps slightly clockwise and then drive it, to see if that put it in the ball park? it says to remove rubber plug. is that for idle adjustment alone?after every adjustment. should i remove trn fuse and relay, to reset?

·
Registered
2004 kia sorento 3.5 v6 gas
78 Posts
Tps

I just recently found out as I had to adjust mine. The TPS also gives the ecm an idle off/on signal. If it's not set correctly the idle will be erratic when running the ac or defrost.

·
Registered
2004 kia sorento 3.5 v6 gas
78 Posts
Tps

One more thing, once you get the tps set correctly, make sure you unhook the battery for a few minutes. After you hook it back up take it for a drive. It takes a few off/on cycles for the ecm to set proper idle and shift points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts