Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i'm new to this forum stuff but i bought a 2002 kia rio rx v at auction for 5500 and everything was working perfectly.
i changed spark plugs last week . i used the platinum 4s and from the very first time i turned it over the started was sluggish and ever since it has gotten worse until the other day i came home from work 50 mile drive highway and stopped myh car and it wouldn't start up again. it wasn't getting enough pwere to completely turn over. so i had to boost it. i took it to a garage they said the alternator was working fine and my battery was okay also. is there any truth to the rumour i heard that if you use platinum 4 spark plugs you have to use better spark plug wires.
if anyone has had a similar problem please let me know. but right now i think i'm just going to try and put the plugs in that the manual says and forget about it.
thanks for listening
-carwin

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI Cawin,

Are you using the righth spark plug ratings? I'm driving a CArens and using Bosch Supeer 4 sprk plugs rated according to CArens. IT works wonderssss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES I USED THE RIGHT PLUGS. I AM GOING TO PUT IN JUST PLAIN PLATINUMS TOMORROW. I'LL SEE IF ANYTHING CHANGES

·
Registered
57 Posts
Put the stock NGK's back in. You will not gain anything from using these new plugs. If need be, take one of the old stock plugs and head to the store and buy new ones.

Also, did you check to make sure the gap was correct? They come pre-gapped but you should always check.

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by ppwazzup@Oct 16 2004, 12:28 AM
Put the stock NGK's back in. You will not gain anything from using these new plugs. If need be, take one of the old stock plugs and head to the store and buy new ones.

Also, did you check to make sure the gap was correct? They come pre-gapped but you should always check.

Matt
what is the correct gap matt ? ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
1.1 millimeters which I believes converts into 45 thousanths of an inch. I used some different plugs, rated the same for my rio, and they just didn't wanna work right. I had to o back to the correct NGK plugs. Eventually, I want to get the NGK Irridium plugs. They will work just fine in the rio as the rio was designed to work best use the NGK plugs. The reason I plan on using the iridium plugs (they are about $11 each) is I plan on going forced induction. I will also be installing an MSD DIS 2 ignition, MSD GM Coil packs, and bigger wires. There will be much more air and fuel in the cylinders, so a better spark from that whole setup will add power, but to a N/A car, it won't make a differance.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lately I have been having similar problems with my Kia Rio starting up. I hear the engine turning over, but not enough power to completely start my car up. I had to get a jump start and it ran somewhat fine...over the past few days it was working just fine. Till today, I left work and when I got home and was about to go to the store....wouldn't start again, but it was turning over. I noticed the topic of spark plugs. Its been a little over a year since I changed mine, and they were Bosch Platinum. Did you ever figure out what the problem was??

Kadi

·
Registered
2 Posts
undefined
YES IT WAS NOT THE SPARK PLUGS IT WAS THE STARTER. CHANGE IT AND YOU WILL BE FINE. YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD... WORK ONE DAY NOT THE NEXT BUT WOULD START WITH A BOOST OR A PUSH (MANUAL TRANS). NEW STARTER COST ME 249.00 HARD TO BELIEVE THAT A CAR WITH ONLY 104,000 KM OR 60,000 MILES NEEDED A NEW STARTER BUT THAT'S WHAT IT WAS ALL IS FINE NOW.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't have the warranty info in front of me, but isn't the starter motor covered under the 10/100? I'd have to agree for a car that needs a starter at 60K that is pretty retarded. ......Planned self-destruction, it's the name of the game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts