Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2017
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I'm a new Kia Owner with a 2017 Sportage. It has 7,500mi and the previous owner just did a dealer oil change at 7,000mi 1 yr. ago. So I have a Service in 14 Days message on my dash. My 3 Qs are these:
1). The oil is 1 yr. old but only with 500 mi usage. The previous owner didn't drive it mostly at all hence the sale to me.
Should I have the oil changed since it's so old? Wont it get gunky since the car was not driven hardly at all? Or am I good until the next oil change?

2). Is the SERVICE IN 14 DAYS message related to the oil change? If it was to be changed at 7,500 but instead he did it early, would this trigger the message on my dash? Or is this "Service" something else entirely.

3). What is the normal service maintenance that is done at 7,500 mi?

Sorry so long, but I live in Costa Rica and the manuals in Spanish I cannot understand.

Thanks for any help..

Little Red

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Sportage LX, 2015 Kia Soul EX, 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
126 Posts
If the oil is a year old, I would change it.
The service in XXX days is set on the control panel from the steering wheel, can be set to almost anything

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,113 Posts
Do you have the invoice from the dealer? What kind of oil was used? If it was synthetic, you do not need to change it again. I've had my 2017 EX for 3.5 years with 22K miles and have only changed the oil twice. However, at 22.5K miles, I'll change it again with full synthetic. If they used regular oil, I'd wait another six months and then change it again with synthetic. Oil quality is very good these days. In case you hear otherwise, my first oil change was at 7500 miles after 20 months and I had the oil tested as I usually do with a new car. The oil was fine and still had enough additives. In the old days with older engines and lower quality oil, I would have changed it. You really shouldn't trust the service message as that can be set by the owner. Get the invoice or check with the dealer.

·
Registered
2016 Sportage EX, 2.4L
9 Posts
HI I'm a new Kia Owner with a 2017 Sportage. It has 7,500mi and the previous owner just did a dealer oil change at 7,000mi 1 yr. ago. So I have a Service in 14 Days message on my dash. My 3 Qs are these:
1). The oil is 1 yr. old but only with 500 mi usage. The previous owner didn't drive it mostly at all hence the sale to me.
Should I have the oil changed since it's so old? Wont it get gunky since the car was not driven hardly at all? Or am I good until the next oil change?

2). Is the SERVICE IN 14 DAYS message related to the oil change? If it was to be changed at 7,500 but instead he did it early, would this trigger the message on my dash? Or is this "Service" something else entirely.

Sorry so long, but I live in Costa Rica and the manuals in Spanish I cannot understand.

Thanks for any help..

Little Red
My advice is: CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER!!!
That being said, my reason is you will know, for sure, what kind of oil & filter is in it (that's just the way I am...). Personally, I absolutely swear by Amsoil products. I have 4 vehicles and they all have Amsoil in the crankcases, transmissions, and differential (my truck). Even though you can go 1 year or 25,000 miles between engine oil changes ("normal" driving), I change mine about every 10-11 months, regardless of miles driven. I considerate it CHEAP INSURANCE! ;):D
Again, just my opinion.
I don't recall the website, but you can download an owner's manual online in pretty much any language, so that should knock down that barrier.
Hope this helps. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
That being said, my reason is you will know, for sure, what kind of oil & filter is in it (that's just the way I am...). Personally, I absolutely swear by Amsoil products. I have 4 vehicles and they all have Amsoil in the crankcases, transmissions, and differential (my truck). Even though you can go 1 year or 25,000 miles between engine oil changes ("normal" driving), I change mine about every 10-11 months, regardless of miles driven. I considerate it CHEAP INSURANCE! ;):D
Again, just my opinion.
I don't recall the website, but you can download an owner's manual online in pretty much any language, so that should knock down that barrier.
I agree with your recommendations.

Personally I swear by Mobil-1 full synthetic products - I have three vehicles and all run on Mobil-1 and with fairly high mileage they're running and performing like new.

In addition, I use only Top Tier gas.

Personally, the sales practices Amsoil use make me suspicious, and even if I was to accept that their products are as good as Mobil-1, which they possibly are, I prefer the convenience of buying Mobil-1 products.
Similar to Tupperware only being available from home parties, ......they lost major market share.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,113 Posts
Again, just my opinion.
I guess I just don't believe you should throw away good oil and waste money. It was a dealer oil change so they have a record of the exact miles and the type of oil used so you absolutely will KNOW what was changed and what products were used. I also don't think you should just assume the oil was bad. I tested the factory oil after 7500 miles and it was just fine. Have you tested the oil? In this situation, there is virtually zero risk of engine damage. In the old days, engine tolerances and oil quality was much worse, and back then, I would have agreed with you. But these are not the old days. Older people who remember those days seem to change the oil far too often. A good synthetic will easily last more than 10k miles -- and that is from lots of testing. That said, I am loathe to go that long because I don't want any problems with my warranty. The only time I change the oil more often is when I used to run my track car which was highly modified. So my recommendation to those who recommend changing the oil often, is to spend the $25 and get your oil analyzed. You'll be quite surprised how much you throw away good oil.

By the way, by checking with the dealer on the oil, you can also get a record of any other work that was done on the car. You should do that in any event....

·
Registered
Sportage 2017
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all. I will take your advice. Going to see the dealer anyway so to get the warranty changed into my name. I've never used synthetic oil in any of our cars in the past, but then again we've never bought any that are as sophisticated as cars have become in the last 5 years. So thanks for the education on that. My last car was a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder. So learning a newer car like my Sportage (Which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) is a little intimidating. Before my husband passed away he made me promise to sell the 20 yr old Manual Nissan and get an automatic car less than 5 yrs. old so I would never have to worry about the car. He said the Kia would be the perfect size and car for me. So I followed his advice. Now that he's gone, I'll be counting on everyone here to guide me through until I learn everything about this one. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Change the oil at least yearly - especially on lightly-used vehicles. You are doing the right thing. Synthetic-blend oil is perfectly good for the 2.4L engine.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
Thank you to all. I will take your advice. Going to see the dealer anyway so to get the warranty changed into my name.
Best of luck getting that arranged with the dealership and I think you stand a good chance of that.

That indicates that you're keen to maintain the warranty, and in that case you need to ensure that the servicing is done as spelt out in the owners manual, which specifies a mileage and/or a number of months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your Owners Manual specifies one year or 7500 miles, then in your still valid warranty situation, change the oil at one year.

Keep receipts and records, if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1960 Corvair, 1975 Morris Mini, 1962 Renault Dauphine, 2012 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts

Thanks for any help..

Little Red
For safety sake, change the oil and filter. In your location I would be using 5W-30, based on what I determined with the dealers here for tropical locations. And go to https://www.kia.com/us/owners/account/login.do and download your owners manual in English. it is free.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
3 Posts
Thank you to all. I will take your advice. Going to see the dealer anyway so to get the warranty changed into my name. I've never used synthetic oil in any of our cars in the past, but then again we've never bought any that are as sophisticated as cars have become in the last 5 years. So thanks for the education on that. My last car was a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder. So learning a newer car like my Sportage (Which I LOVE LOVE LOVE) is a little intimidating. Before my husband passed away he made me promise to sell the 20 yr old Manual Nissan and get an automatic car less than 5 yrs. old so I would never have to worry about the car. He said the Kia would be the perfect size and car for me. So I followed his advice. Now that he's gone, I'll be counting on everyone here to guide me through until I learn everything about this one. Thanks again everyone! View attachment 115056

·
Registered
2005 Optima/Magentis 2.0L 4 cyl 4 speed auto 2WD
6 Posts
Sorry for your loss Little Red

I agree that the oil and filter should be changed, but that has nothing to do with the oil and everything to do with contamination. Condensation, combustion blow-by products in the oil pan ... it is easier to change it and move on.

John in Panama

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,113 Posts
Sorry for your loss Little Red

I agree that the oil and filter should be changed, but that has nothing to do with the oil and everything to do with contamination. Condensation, combustion blow-by products in the oil pan ... it is easier to change it and move on.

John in Panama
How does contamination occur in 500 miles????? It seems to me that if any of us knew the oil was changed 500 miles ago on our car, we wouldn't change it again. In this case, it was changed at the dealer and the dealer has a record. If we went to a dealer to change the oil, would we change it again after 500 miles? Do you double check your dealer when the oil was changed? I don't. I trust they know how to change the oil. Yeah, they could make a mistake. But they could just as well make a mistake on your car as this one. Now if you didn't know when the oil was changed, it would be a different story. So you say it was a year since the oil was changed. Regular oil has a shelf life of at least 5 years and if the car was only used sparingly, it didn't have a chance to become contaminated. On an old car with lots of sludge, it might be a different story. But this is not an old car.

When we give advice to someone with little or no experience with cars, there should at least be some reason and science to it. I have a similar problem with those people who change their oil every 3,000 miles with modern oils and modern cars.

Today, the only reason on a modern car to change your oil is not to void your warranty or you have severe usage like tracking your car or running it flat out in the desert. I agree that this was different with older cars. Decades ago I did change my oil often, but as technology advances forward, we have to forget those old axioms and adapt to the new realities....

·
Registered
936 Posts
'Today, the only reason on a modern car to change your oil is not to void your warranty or you have severe usage like tracking your car or running it flat out in the desert.'

Unfortunately that is not true. Especially on lightly-used vehicles, moisture can remain in the oil, forming an acid over time. This is the reason you change every year if you don't accumulate at least 5000 miles in a year - otherwise you go by mileage on more heavily-used vehicles. Actually, most manufacturers recommend every six months for this reason. For vehicles that are driven daily for at least ten miles at a time, this moisture build-up is not a problem as it gets cooked off before it can form acid.
So even though the oil still looks good it may not be good. My truck has been on yearly changes since new as it only gets around 2500 miles/year. Now my Sportage has gone on a six-month schedule as it is not getting 5000 miles in six months.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,113 Posts
'Today, the only reason on a modern car to change your oil is not to void your warranty or you have severe usage like tracking your car or running it flat out in the desert.'

Unfortunately that is not true. Especially on lightly-used vehicles, moisture can remain in the oil, forming an acid over time. This is the reason you change every year if you don't accumulate at least 5000 miles in a year - otherwise you go by mileage on more heavily-used vehicles. Actually, most manufacturers recommend every six months for this reason. For vehicles that are driven daily for at least ten miles at a time, this moisture build-up is not a problem as it gets cooked off before it can form acid.
So even though the oil still looks good it may not be good. My truck has been on yearly changes since new as it only gets around 2500 miles/year. Now my Sportage has gone on a six-month schedule as it is not getting 5000 miles in six months.
Acid buildup used to be a problem, but in today's modern oils, as long as the additive level is good, you should not have acid buildup. This is especially true if you use Top Tier gas as most acid buildup comes from bad gas. Regarding warranty -- most warranties have time limits as well as mileage limits on changing the oil. It may make you feel good to change your oil often, but it is just not necessary. You could make an argument in this case that the warranty requires annual oil changes and you would be right. But I stretch this time to 18 months because I've had my oil tested at 12 months on low mileage cars, and the oil is just fine. I've also had my oil tested at 18 months, and still found the oil is just fine. You can make all of the assumptions you want, but testing your oil is not expensive and I prefer to use science rather than blogs on the internet. To those of you who are changing your oil often, I suggest you send in a sample for testing. You'll be surprised how much life is left in that oil you are throwing away.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage, Massachusetts
14 Posts

Thanks for any help..

Little Red
change it, better safe than sorry! oil change is not expensive!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Current oil tech might be better but I'll defer to the yearly/semi-yearly changes. With the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I use in the SX, being a very high detergency, the oil gets pretty dark by six mo/5000 mi. I like to change when it gets pretty dark. You can tell me til you're blue in the face that appearance doesn't matter but I just don't buy it. Those particles of carbon that make the oil dark cannot be desirable to have in the oil.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,113 Posts
Current oil tech might be better but I'll defer to the yearly/semi-yearly changes. With the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I use in the SX, being a very high detergency, the oil gets pretty dark by six mo/5000 mi. I like to change when it gets pretty dark. You can tell me til you're blue in the face that appearance doesn't matter but I just don't buy it. Those particles of carbon that make the oil dark cannot be desirable to have in the oil.
Here's what AMSOIL says:

Oil Myth: The color of the oil indicates when it’s time for an oil change
It’s common to assume that black motor oil has worn out or become too saturated with contaminants to protect your engine and requires changing. Not necessarily. As we saw, discoloration is a natural byproduct of heat and soot particles, which are too small to wear out your engine.
The only surefire way to determine if the oil has reached the end of its service life is to perform oil analysis. Chemically analyzing an oil sample reveals the condition of the oil, the presence of contaminants, fuel dilution and so on. Several companies offer oil analysis services, including Oil Analyzers INC.
Absent oil analysis, it’s best to follow the oil-change recommendation given in your vehicle owner’s manual or by the motor oil manufacturer. The recommended service intervals for AMSOIL products, for example, are based on thousands of data points spanning years of use.
It’s best to trust the data, not your eye, in this case. Otherwise, changing the oil could amount to throwing away good oil.

I don't trust wive's tales or rules of thumb. I trust science and testing. I do my homework and almost never have a blue face. Manufacturer's are very careful in their maintenance recommendations especially for legal reasons. In point of fact, most manufacturer recommendations have a rather large margin of safety. I worked in large corporations my entire working life. If you want to throw away good oil, then go right ahead. But I'd rather spend that money elsewhere where it can actually do some good and not waste resources or damage the environment. But recognize that your car is not any better off or will last longer with excessive oil changes. I am the same way about putting in premium gas when the car is designed for regular. I've followed manufacturer recommendations on all of the cars I've had for the last 58 years and have never had major problems other than manufacturing defects. Again, the only reason to change the oil on a car like this is that the manufacturer recommends it to maintain your warranty. There are a few exceptions like tracking your car or if you drive heavily in very severe conditions, but the manufacturer has recommendations for that as well.

I may be a bit sensitive to issues like this at this time because of what's happening. I just wish that people were more interested in science and checking the facts about things our leaders say. So yes, this is a bit of a rant. But so be it.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts