Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SI 1.6L Auto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife advised me this morning she got a message on the dash when she started the car advising to change oil. The car has only done 5500km so oil change is not due yet.

Would this be a setting that is in the car to pop up at a certain amount of k's that I can disable or change

Thanks

Kiwalian

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
depending on the car.. it can come up based on km's, or engine hours, or a combo of both. I had a Chevy 3/4 ton that was based on engine hours... so it never read at the same km's for an oil change. Unless you know what method KIA uses, I would change it if you see it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I think it's an optional reminder that you can set yourself. Australian KIAs usually require servicing at 15,000km intervals unless you are using the car under severe conditions.

Our Cerato is used under almost ideal conditions (mostly highway, or freeway commute) and we've serviced at 13,000km and 25,000km. Next one will likely be at 40,000km. These intervals chosen mostly for convenience.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's not about hours, it's distance travelled or time since last service.

Some cars give alerts automatically, but I suspect RIO needs to be set manually.

One of my cars (Not KIA) has a menu item on the trip computer where you can set service alerts at selected kms. Never used it.

Opinions vary on the quality of factory-issue oil, but I was happy to keep it until the first service. No evidence of engine wear or prematurely dirty oil; filter doing its job?

People in the US often seem keen to change oil very early as a traditional practice. Briggs & Stratton recommend changing at 5 hours and thereafter every 50 hours, but this is for a $200 lawnmower!

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
our factory oil turned dark pretty quickly but it was still left in until the 15,000 service as it was about the right weight by the look of it

my fairmont has only done about 2000KM since the last service but i'll be doing it again shortly as it's nearly been a year

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
the way i can tell that i need an oil change on my rio, is to compare the mileage to the sticker on the windshield... :p

i have changed my oil 7 times so far.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
the way i can tell that i need an oil change on my rio, is to compare the mileage to the sticker on the windshield... :p
which is fine if you travel the average or above mileage the sticker is based on, but for those who do not, it's done at time intervals

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
which is fine if you travel the average or above mileage the sticker is based on, but for those who do not, it's done at time intervals
That makes no sense. Mileage is mileage. If you travel above average mileage then the number on the sticker will come sooner. If not it will come later.

Time intervals doesn't make sense to me. If Kia says every six months or 6000 km for eg, and after 6 months you have only travelled 3000 km, why would you change the oil? Oil change should be based on mileage unless your car is sitting for long periods not being driven.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
That makes no sense. Mileage is mileage. If you travel above average mileage then the number on the sticker will come sooner. If not it will come later.

Time intervals doesn't make sense to me. If Kia says every six months or 6000 km for eg, and after 6 months you have only travelled 3000 km, why would you change the oil? Oil change should be based on mileage unless your car is sitting for long periods not being driven.
i'm not sure on your level of mechanical understanding but what you just said is textbook incorrect and the reason a lot of cars undergo mechanical stress and engine damage.

time intervals are in place for a reason. For example in Australia we have a stupid interval on the Kia (and many other makes) of 15,000KM or 12 months. Using that example as gospel, if you travel only 7000KM in 12 months, you still need to change your oil. Oil deteriorates and contaminates with age, as do oil filters. Old oil can bond in a sludge-type way to parts of the engine and foul the normal operation of the valvetrain and so on.

That is why you are advised to change the oil and filter at either a KM interval or time interval.

A lady who owned a Mazda 3 around my area took her car to the mechanic with a loud knocking noise and a badly running engine. It had 75,000KM on it. The mechanic asked her when she changed the oil last, to which she replied; "Never, I bought it new". It did a big end bearing and the oil was like treacle.

There are many variables to this equation, including the type of engine, induction and so on, but it's a general rule that'll see your engine last a long time.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
This argument is like the owners that won't change their timing belt "because it's only done 40,000km (on a 6-7 y.o. car). SNAP - BANG go the valves. KA-CHING goes the service centre!

Oils also break down (physically and chemically) with age and contamination. Old oil can easily become, not only a sludge blocking vital oil ducts, but a corrosive you DO NOT want pumping around inside your engine.
Simple solution - Change it every 6 months or 6000+ km, which ever comes FIRST. Much cheaper alternative in the long run.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
First, no offence taken.

My point was that there is some leeway depending upon location and conditions. I understand that oil breaks down over time but there is no set expiry date or time.

For example, the regular interval is 12 months but the extreme condition term is 6 months. Here, in the Lower Mainland of BC we are hardly an extreme environment. So if I drive 6000km til my next change, but it takes me 8 months to do it, that is well within parameters. I'm not talking about waiting 2 years because you don't drive much.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
First, no offence taken.

My point was that there is some leeway depending upon location and conditions. I understand that oil breaks down over time but there is no set expiry date or time.

For example, the regular interval is 12 months but the extreme condition term is 6 months. Here, in the Lower Mainland of BC we are hardly an extreme environment. So if I drive 6000km til my next change, but it takes me 8 months to do it, that is well within parameters. I'm not talking about waiting 2 years because you don't drive much.
in your particular case, one year should not be too detrimental

1 - 16 of 16 Posts