Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Sorento 3.3L 4WD V6, and its throwing the PCM/ECM engine code. I have looked into purchasing a new ECM for it from a wrecker, and was wondering how hard it is to change out, and if I need to go to the dealer to have the VIN changed? Do I have to change the ignition switch as well?

Any tips would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
I have a 2009 Sorento 3.3L 4WD V6, and its throwing the PCM/ECM engine code. I have looked into purchasing a new ECM for it from a wrecker, and was wondering how hard it is to change out, and if I need to go to the dealer to have the VIN changed? Do I have to change the ignition switch as well?

Any tips would be great. Thanks
The ECM is between the air filter housing and firewall on the passenger side. The problem you will encounter is the VIN is programmed to that particular module and cannot be changed. The ignition switch will not have to be changed.

Now, what engine code are you getting? Why are you looking to replace this out of your own pocket rather than having it warrantied? The ECM is covered by emissions warranty 8 years/80k miles, provided that you did not cause it to fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 150,000kms on my odometer, so I am passed the emission warranty.

I have been fighting with my KIA dealership to day ANY warranty work on my car, and they refused on the grounds that I did my own oil changes so I have no "proof" that any maintenance was actually completed.

I have been having problem after problem with this car...replaced most of the sensors already.

The code it is throwing is: P0606 - PCM / ECM Processor Fault

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tested the ECM, and it appears to be fine as the resistance is less then 1 Ohme. (spelling?)
sigh....back to square one with diagnosis. This car has mechanics stumped!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts