Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm after suggestions for suitable replacement plugs for our 2011 Cerato 2.0 (115kW Petrol Injection); Australia.

NGK are the suggested brand, either LFR5A-11 (Standard) or LFR5AIX-11 (Iridium). Anyone know what plugs are installed as original equipment? Probably a standard plug, since replacement is recommended at 40,000km. Is it worth getting Iridium?

Any ideas are welcome, as are tips on installation. NGK site gives good general guide, and explanation of codes. e.g.

L=Long
F=Thread Dimensions (14 pitch, 16mm thread, 19 mm Hex.)
R=Resistor
5=Heat Range
A=Prefix
11=Gap (1.1 mm)

·
Registered
Spectra 2006 (A/T 2000cc DOHC)
36 Posts
Is it worth getting Iridium?[/QUOTE said:
Yes. It is always worth to use high conductor materials on your ignition system. The fine wire iridium center electrode requires less voltage to fire delivering exceptional ignitability, so that makes you win a little bit of hp and responsiveness in the throttle. Plus it helps you to save money on gas, so you will get better performance (gas/mileage).

Now, regarding the brand, in my experience the best spark plugs I’ve used are Bosch. For your car the recommended is Bosch 9651. Bosch is worldwide recognize for exceeding standards of quality and that is translated in more life (usage).

You can use whatever brand you want anyway, but always look for the best products on the market if you really like quality.

PS. It would be important to replace the wires as well, since you’re putting Iridium you want to avoid power loss. The wires sends electricity to the sparks and are a very important component in your ignition system, if you have nice sparks but poor cables, it would be like watching a giant flat screen using analog inputs, and without Dolby Digital sound, you will enjoy you TV but you won’t take advantage of all the capabilities it has. It would be “underutilized”.

So you have to look for spark plug wires that has a suppression system and 99% of conductivity. I recommend Nology, but they don’t make for all cars so if you’re not able to find Nology for your car, use B&B and other ultra-high conductor 8mm cable, hopefully with ground wire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts