Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long shot. The cerato has caught my eye. But here in Korea(believe it or not where the dam car is in fact made) it seems to rarely be sold in the 2 ltr hatchback with 5 speed manual. All that seems to be sold here is the 1.5 ltr. and the Korean consumers all seem to want manual as well. All the dealers have told me that I'd have to specially order a 2 ltr 5 speed and once more I could not test drive such a car. In fact they tell me that there are no 2 ltr manaul transmission ceratos that I can test drive. If I could get the car, they tell me I would never be able to sell it used in Korea as no one would buy the 2ltr 5 speed used. Get this one. In Korea they do not let the consumer test drive the car b4 they purchase it. I come from Canada and I cannot ever imagine buying a new car without taking a tester for a spin.... go figure. Anyway if any of you other x-pats over here have had any luck trying to test drive a 2ltr 5 speed would you please let me know.
Ryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
lol~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry, but your post was pretty entertaining. :):)
I'm a Korean in Korea so maybe i can help.

Ok, a 2 liter cerato with a 5 speed manual. I think the shop that you went to was a crappy place.

Who says you can't test drive in Korea? I think the salesperson was just being overly cautious and lied to you outright.

A certain problem might be the fact that you're the 0.1% that hyundai/Kia didn't cater for. Sure, on paper it says a 2.0l base with a manual and a 4 auto being an option, but reality check: no one I know or at least I've not heard of anyone buying the luxury model (which the 2.0l is all about) and getting a manual.

The salesperson was correct in telling you that you'll have a really tough time selling it as people would always want an auto over a manual. You'll have to get rid of it at a seriously low price later on, so the next owner can buy itand change the transmission to auto again. lol~
If you've driven in Seoul, I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. :)

To conclude (and to make sense of my jibberish), yes, you can get a 2liter cerato with a manual. It's in the parking lot of hyundai/kia's assembly plant somewhere... just not that many, so you might need to approach a large-scale dealer to pull strings for you to get it. And yeah, demand that you won't buy till you drive it. Things can always be arranged. Oh, andake sure you drive a car that's of similar value, if not more. (that's the only way these guys will see it as collateral for you taking the car out)

B)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
All very odd this..
In the UK, the 2.0 isn't available yet! And when it is, no auto option, auto only for the 1.6.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Dec 7 2004, 01:43 PM
All very odd this..
In the UK, the 2.0 isn't available yet! And when it is, no auto option, auto only for the 1.6.

The Cerato or Spectra is avalable here in Canada with the 2.0 and auto... works very well except that gas milage is still very low 30's. No where near the quoted 46hwy ...

d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts