Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: CB3

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
221 Posts
I use chemical guys pink soap wash, in a 5 gallon bucket with two wash mitts. I dry lightly with a few cloths and then use Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax. Any old glass cleaner on the window, Armor All leather wipes on the interior after I run a vacuum brush over it. Tireless Shine on the wheels and rubber

I've been using the same wax for 20 years. I've been wanting to try a ceramic but havent got around to it yet. Maybe when I wax before the winter I'll try the ceramic for the first time

·
Registered
‘21 Sorento X-Line White/Rust
19 Posts
Ceramics last better and longer then regular wax. This reduces the time and effort spent to keep a car looking nice. Ceramic detailers and proper gentle car washing soaps also prolong ceramic shine. Never go through a commercial brush wash. I always put a Clear Bra product on the areas of my car that get chips—front, hood part way, rocker panels, mirrors. It takes ceramic coating just like clear coat.

Surface preparation is the key, and that is what takes the most time.
Wash with harsh soap (Dawn dish soap) to remove all waxes, oils, dirt.
Clay the paint and re-wash.
Touch up any scratches or chips with touch up paint. Let dry for as long as possible.
Use a very mildly abrasive polish to remove swirls and scratches and get the clear coat glass smooth. A very fine celled foam random orbital buffer is easiest. This step takes the longest. Repeat until satisfied. You are polishing clear coat, not paint.
Wash & dry, ideally with compressed air rather than towels.

New cars don’t need as much prep work. Cars that have had an excellent polish before previous ceramic coating will not need as much prep work.

Apply ceramic coating per directions, but use a sheep’s wool buffer because it’s better, faster and less tiring than hand towels.
Apply ceramic coating per directions (yes, twice).

This process takes about 4-5 hours the first time on an average size car. It lasts 6-9 months, including through Utah winters and washing every 10 days.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX-P PHEV (Soon)
32 Posts
Any old glass cleaner on the window
I use Sprayway glass cleaner. It comes out as a foam and works amazing! Here's the amazon link, but if you have a walmart nearly it's about $3 a can there. My detailer uses it and it's what he had me use on my Genesis coupe when I had it vinyl wrapped. It cleans vinyl really well too.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
476 Posts
Project Farm - Best Ceramic Spray Coating? Let's find out!

So the winner by a mile was Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating
This is what I'll be using on my paint when I get it.
I know there are professional coatings that can cost big bucks - I had it done on my Stinger ($300) when I first got it, but it really didn't hold up all that well.

What will you be using?

O'Reilly's has it on sale for $14.00
I use this and it's excellent and easy to apply. edit: I also put it on my windows (except windshield) and water beads off it better and longer lasting than RainX.

I do have the Hybrid Flex Wax (Ceramic and Graphene) to try next.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
221 Posts
Ceramics last better and longer then regular wax. This reduces the time and effort spent to keep a car looking nice. Ceramic detailers and proper gentle car washing soaps also prolong ceramic shine. Never go through a commercial brush wash. I always put a Clear Bra product on the areas of my car that get chips—front, hood part way, rocker panels, mirrors. It takes ceramic coating just like clear coat.

Surface preparation is the key, and that is what takes the most time.
Wash with harsh soap (Dawn dish soap) to remove all waxes, oils, dirt.
Clay the paint and re-wash.
Touch up any scratches or chips with touch up paint. Let dry for as long as possible.
Use a very mildly abrasive polish to remove swirls and scratches and get the clear coat glass smooth. A very fine celled foam random orbital buffer is easiest. This step takes the longest. Repeat until satisfied. You are polishing clear coat, not paint.
Wash & dry, ideally with compressed air rather than towels.

New cars don’t need as much prep work. Cars that have had an excellent polish before previous ceramic coating will not need as much prep work.

Apply ceramic coating per directions, but use a sheep’s wool buffer because it’s better, faster and less tiring than hand towels.
Apply ceramic coating per directions (yes, twice).

This process takes about 4-5 hours the first time on an average size car. It lasts 6-9 months, including through Utah winters and washing every 10 days.
View attachment 120834
Same as the wax I use then. I usually do it twice a year
I use Sprayway glass cleaner. It comes out as a foam and works amazing! Here's the amazon link, but if you have a walmart nearly it's about $3 a can there. My detailer uses it and it's what he had me use on my Genesis coupe when I had it vinyl wrapped. It cleans vinyl really well too.
That’s actually what I’ve used most recently. Maybe this is weird but i like the scent on it as well

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use this and it's excellent and easy to apply. edit: I also put it on my windows (except windshield) and water beads off it better and longer lasting than RainX.

I do have the Hybrid Flex Wax (Ceramic and Graphene) to try next.
Why not on the windshield? Does the ceramic streak? I'm pretty sure we did it on my Stinger with no issues. Maybe the installer didn't ...

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento SX, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT Tech pkg. Former 2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury,
476 Posts
Why not on the windshield? Does the ceramic streak? I'm pretty sure we did it on my Stinger with no issues. Maybe the installer didn't ...
I have night vision issues as well as astigmatism, so I'm pretty sensitive to glare at night. I stayed away from the windshield on this consumer-level stuff just to be safe.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
21 SORRENTO SX W/PRESTIGE PKG FWD
10 Posts
I used Avalon King on my wife's car and it turned out pretty good. Still going strong after 6 months and she barely washes it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts