Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
kia sorento 2.5 crdi 2003
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a new member From the UK , looking for some advice with my central locking problem I have with my KIA sorento CRDI 2003 auto.
What is happening is when i go to unlock my KIA , the indicators flash as they should., but the doors remain locked. You have to unlock the front doors with the key and it will only unlock the door that you use the key in. The rear doors remain locked and you can't even unlock them from inside with the interior handles. At other times it works as normal.
Does any one have any ideas whats occurring. I have been told its probably the Etacs Unit , but the garage seem to be having trouble in getting one. Can anyone advice me where its located in the vehicle and does anyone know where I can get one myself, Is it a DIY job. Any assistance on this will be gratefully appreciated. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,899 Posts
ETACS is just an electronic module (with lots of connectors if I recall, so you will need to know where they all go) mounted behind the drawers in the centre console. I think I would be looking at checking connectors and door actuators first. The ETACS unit provides lots of functions. I would be surprised if it would only fail on one specifically. Also consider that some versions (world-wide) have no remote locking, but every one has the ETACS unit (or Body Control Module [BCM] on facelift models); so I am not sure about the correlation.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
ETACS FUCTION <timer functions and related functions for>

1. Intermittent wiper

2. Washer related wiper.

3. Rear window defogger and front windsheld defogger.

4. Seat belt warning

5. Ignition key hole illumination

6. Delayed out room lamp

7. Ignition key reminder

8. Battery saver.

9. Power window timer

10. Crash door unlock

11. Door ajar

12. Tail gate glass open

13. Central door lock / unlock.

14. 2-Turn unlock

15. Remote keyless Entry system.
(1) Door lock
(2) Door unlock.
(3) Tail gate glass open
(4) Panic

16. Code saving method

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hiya thanks for your reply. I appreciate all your help, I will check the door actuators first but how do i know what is faulty because they work sometimes and not others and that applies to all doors including the tailgate. Is there an electrical test that i can do to help me decide what is faulty and what is not?
regards
will

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Kiatechinfo.com has related information (it's where I got the details for previous post). Site is North America oriented but ETACS functions are common. Look under "Body Electical" in shop info and for schematics under ETM (electrical manual) although you will probably need an auto-electrician and test equipment to be useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hiya thanks again , that's great will have a look and see what i can find out.
regards
Will

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya have been trying to get on Kiatechinfo.com but am having problems registering .,and now i have read that the page is unobtainable. Has anyone else had any problems. or know if it has changed its page url or anything.
Kind regards
Will

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,496 Posts
I want to throw this out as a wild guess but lot less expensive fix. Since it is an 03 what are the odds that his problem is related to the dome light diode? When mine went bad in 03 all kinds of problems were evident. Just a thought.

https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp

That is the one I use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts