Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
GTO, Sorento, Pug 406 coupe, Landrover 110
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post, first Kia, Have a 05 Sedona CRDi, had it for 2 weeks now and am very impressed with it. Had loads of good feedback from peeps to.

Anyway, I want to fit an aftermarket alarm and interface it to the central locking - so where do i connect the 2 wires [lock / unlock] from my alarm to - The last car I did this with i took the door panel off and went onto the lock motor itself, but I'l rather not do this.

Is there an easy point where i can find the right wires that control the door locks inside the car ?

:banana:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Under the dash, there is an orange connector mixed in with 6 other connectors; you can't miss it. Try tapping into the red/green wire for unlock and blue wire for lock. There are actually several wires that are the same color in that connector, so you can choose any of them. This particular set of connectors are short connectors, and each wire color in each connector is shorted together.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I'll try it this weekend and let you know

Iain

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - just looked, took the panel under the steering wheel off, and no Orange connector.

There is one with a strip of yellow onit, disconnected this but the locking still worked on the Kia Key fob.

Am I looking in the right place or is it a question of disconnecting all the plugs in turn till I find the right one.

Iain

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, finally got around to doing this, took the door panel off and checked wire colours - Red/green gives a 12v pulse on unlock and blue +12 pulse on lock.

So I traced the wires to under the dash and spliced, however when i appy 12v to either of these, nothing happens except the fuse I had in the wire between 12v and the spliced wire just pops.

There are no shorts, I checked, and I've gone upto a 30A fuse, any ideas ?, I'm stumped, so any idea's appreciated.

Iain

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
The door locks on this vehicle are a negative trigger type. Try grouding one of the wires (instead of 12v) and see what happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they are -ve pulsed to trigger then how come I measureed a +12v pulse when the locks are operated ?

I incedentally did ground both of these but to no effect - Are you saying that these should have +12v on them all the time and be grounded to operate, because this would just blow fuses [ as per the case of touching 12v onto them]

Very confused now !!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
You're not tapping into the right wires. You could use those wires if you wanted to use relays, but that's a pain.

Try looking for a connector to the left of the steering column. There should be red/green and a white/black wires in this connector. It may be easier to find than the last ones I told you about.

You're right in noticing the 12V when you press the switch. Those wires rest at ground, so when you try to hook up 12V to it, the fuse will pop. When you press the button, one of the wires changes from ground to 12V.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kiamech,

Be aware that this is a UK model, the steering wheel is on the opposite side to a USA version, therefore the colour codes and placement of connectors could be different.

Malcolm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked on the mutiplug inside the door and there is :-

red/green which goes to +12v on keypress
blue which goes to +12v on keypress
black/white - jumps to about 1v on keypress
black - looks like an earth.

The red/green and blue I tapped into are the same as in the door [did a continuity test]

I'll try finding the black / white and triggering that one with an earth.

Are they any cct diagrams available for this car ?,

cheers

Iain

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Good thinking, but it won't work unless you plan on using relays. What you're looking for are the wires that go to the ETACS module. The alarm systems aren't designed for high-amp door locks, so what you're trying to do is tell the ETACS, with low amperage, to lock/unlock the doors. If you hooked directly to these wires (which won't work anyways without relays) most alarms wouldn't last too long because the load would burn them up.

I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that the wire colors would remain the same on a right-hand drive Sedona. What you want to test for is a pulse to ground on the wire colors that I told you before. There could be a lot of wires matching those colors (under the dash). I'm not sure how "apart" you have your van, but it may be easiest to remove the center console and test the wires coming out of the ETACS. That way, even if the wire colors are different, you can test all of them in one location. The ETACS module is black and there should even be a sticker on it that says ETACS (or ETWIS).

What alarm are you trying to install?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Kia Mech, Hello Malcolm,

I've been reading your threads on Iain's post.

Is the wiring the same say on a UK 2002/4 Sedona as on a 2005?

I ask 'cause I could PDF a cct diagram of the ETACS module to Iain if they are.
Seacam

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guys, a pdf diag would at least point me in the right direction, if you pm me, I'll send you my email address.

For info, I am using a microscan 'chirp' [think its a AN213 by memory] alarm with an additional central locking interface with relays inbuilt into it, The alarm o/p triggers the relays in the interface. This lets me trigger the C/L with either +12v or gnd ie whatever I put on one side of the relay module. The alarm itself has a unlock and lock wire seperate which are very low current -ve pulse.

Never heard of the 'ETACS', but I would guess that that the 05 model is the same as the 02-04 models,

Once I crack this, I'll write a post in case anyone else wants to have a go

cheers

Iain

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Iain,

I've been reading your post with interest.

You write "the alarm o/p triggers the relays in the interface", are you sure about that?
Seacam

PS, I've sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
If your alarm has an actual relay input, then you can use the wires that you've already found that pulsed 12V. I have only seen one alarm like this, so I'm kind of surprised yours has it. If you used the low amp negative triggers you wouldn't need the separate relay module, but you'd have to find the right wires.

In the states, all '02-'05 Sedonas have (for the most part) the same wiring. Seacam, your PDF of the UK version should work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
seacam / kiamech

The alarm has an output which gives a -ve pulse on alarm activation. This can be used to trigger other alarm interfaces. I use it to trigger a microwave perimeter unit and it is also triggering the additional central locking interface.

On alarm activation, the -ve pulse throws the relays, which connect 12v [or earth] to the o/p side of the relay and hence to the 2 wires I tapped into.

However, 12v just causes the fuses in the relay module to blow.

I have a pdf of the relay module somewhere if it helps.

cheers

Iain

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Iain,

Kia Mech is far more knowlagble then I so I'll throw a spanner at you once more then I promise I'll shut up.

You write "The alarm has an output which gives a -ve pulse on alarm activation", I don't think it does.
Seacam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts