Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some people might be interested in this bit of info I found on the Net. I don't know if its true or not.....

"The cee’d is Kia’s first European designed and built car. The company says that it’s a European car for European people and it won’t be on sale in other parts of the world. To mark the occasion, Kia took the initials of the European Economic Community, EEC or CEE in some places and added ED for European Design. Sensibly realising that CEEED was an ‘E’ too far, they replaced one of them with an apostrophe, thus giving us cee’d and always in lower case."

I bet Mr Clarkeson does not know this! :D

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
I think it should be true, as a bunch of those KIA TSBs refer to CEE'd simply as "ED" - which matches with the above story.

·
Registered
78 Posts
2007 KIA product guide reads:
Conceived, created, and available exclusively in Europe, the cee'd represents Kia's commitment to fulfilling the specific needs of sophisticated European consumers with Kia's distinctive mix of quality, confidence and dynamism. The cee'd name is an acronym: "CE" denotes "Community of Europe," while "ED" represents "European Design." The word is also a homonym of "seed," symbolizing Kia's growing engagement with and focus on Europe. The name is short and innovative, with the unconventional lower case “c” to reinforce the car’s image of breaking the traditional automotive rules, delighting its drivers and surprising the competition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts